Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7L V8 Magnum Project Truck
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I bought my 02 I was told it leaked coolant, I never paid much attention to it though as it leaked very slowly and I barely used the truck anyway. Then my brother used it to jump start another truck (unfortunately I wasn't there so I only have a sketchy idea) a couple months ago and said that while running the stereo, heat, etc on the other truck the Dakota starting spurting coolant from somewhere around the two caps straight up in the air. He shut it off but didn't look into it any more.

So ever since then I've been keeping an eye on the coolant, and I test drove it around the property a bit to see if it made a difference. I wasn't able to figure much out by checking the coolant daily, as it seems to be very unpredictable. When I checked it after it was apparently spurting coolant, it was still at the top, just how it was before. A week later it was down one dot on the dipstick. (since I park it outdoors, my attempts at putting cardboard under it to find out where it was leaking just got either soaked with rain, or it didn't happen to leak then) I checked it daily for several weeks, and it would go down a dot per day, then stay the same for a week, down a dot, up a dot, and so on. I couldn't make any sense out of it.

I realize it might be impossible to tell from the little I know, but does anyone have any ideas as to what it could be? Any tips on what I should do to try to find out when/where/how it's leaking? I'll keep checking it daily and post again if I find something out.

·
Registered
2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7L V8 Magnum Project Truck
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just FYI, I got some help on another site and determined it's probably the water pump. Got a new one for a good price on RockAuto.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts