Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, just got back from Iraq and was driving my '03 4.7L the other day around town....it started to run alittle warmer than usual (minus the clutch fan, mind you)...i get home and notice theres coolant splattered inside the engine bay....i changed out the filler neck hoses and rad. cap but now it burps coolant out of the filler neck when ever i give it throttle after its warmed up. Anyone have any ideas? Its been sitting for 9 months with the occassional start up by wifey and she never noticed it before

I dont see wheres it leaking from only from rad. cap when ever i give it throttle. I'm thinking thermistat stuck open

·
1700 + 1/4 mile passes
27,260 Posts
if it was stuck open then it would run cooler. if its comming out of the radiator cap then it might not have the full twist to it or the gasket is missing/torn or something along those lines. How long ago did you change the hoses cause you might just have some air pockets in the system?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i just changed it this afternoon....i tried "burping" it after it put the new hoses on...what the hell am i doing wrong then?

·
Banned
7,509 Posts
I had this problem and the cap wasn't twisted all the way. Just turn all the way. If dont fix it then replace the cap.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok...maybe I Didnt Not Specify Before....the Coolant Neck, Hoses And Rad. Cap Are All Brand New!!!!!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually, i was told to check that by a mechanic in the family. God i dont want to think about that but how would i know?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Any decent mechanic will have a chemical tester that tests for CO2, a byproduct of combustion, in the cooling system. I like this method because the only explanation for CO2 in the cooling system is a blown head gasket. You can also use a gas analyzer but you have to extra careful that you don't suck up any coolant or else you can damage the analyzer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts