Dakota Durango Forum banner

Convert to disks or no?

3K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  kiriuhavelik 
G
#1 ·
I have a 98 Durango so disks front and drumbs rear, i want to do a full Viper Brake convertion, but i would want to know the price, alot i know real # estaments are better than assumptions. Also i know from experience that the drums are easy to do burn outs or w/e with, i dont do them much ne more but with disks is it still posible for that random time some one askes? :banana2: :help:

#2 ·
gsmotorsports.com were the people that used to have a viper brake kit. i've heard they have discontinued it though due to slack of sales and problems with it. i'm pretty sure they still have it listed on their site though and that'll give you an idea of how much it would cost. i'm sure if you have the knowledge and tools you can easily come up with a kit yourself if you really want viper brakes. as for burnouts of course they could still be done esp. if you don't have an adjustable proportioning valve installed when you do your conversion since so much of the braking is done by the front brakes. someone else can help you better than me on this one though, i'm not a pro on this issue.

G
#4 ·
I was looking for new brakes because with the way things are stock i think there is something wrong with the front ones ALOT of vibrating when braking, and im lifting it with bigger tires so need it ne way, also i use to have a 02 Explorer with all disks and i loved how well more even the brakeing was. Hopefully i can fit it in my budget.. :cussing:

#5 ·
vibration during braking is prolly primarily due to warped calipers, the dodge ones suck can't even last 30k miles esp. 01 and up, and any aftermarket caliper whether it be from powerslot, baer, or ssbc in conjunction with a good ceramic pad should help you alot.

#9 ·
stainless steel brake corp. front kit...slotted rotors and carbon kevlar pads for 189.99...around 200 shipped is what i paid. Honestly just have your rear drum serviced and it'll be fine. I cannot see the benefit outweighing the cost of 700-800 dollars to change to rear discs. 70-80% of the braking is up front. People may say it's necessary to have just as good braking force/ability out back as in front but I'll never buy that. I used to beat the hell out of my supra before in the local canyons on an almost weekly basis where braking was pretty much critical to saving you from plowing into a wall at 85 mph. My front "high performance" pads wore out 3 times faster than my rear oem organic pads. Hmmm... ;) Save the money for other things dude, 200 dollars and an hour of labor is all you need to vastly improve your braking.

#12 ·
scat_pack_dal said:
vibration during braking is prolly primarily due to warped calipers, the dodge ones suck can't even last 30k miles esp. 01 and up, and any aftermarket caliper whether it be from powerslot, baer, or ssbc in conjunction with a good ceramic pad should help you alot.
I believe you need to insert "rotor" in place of caliper.

G
#16 ·
Yea i did a search on Summit.com for the other part # and it said out of stock.... sooo i called Summit and they dont keep them in stock and i guess there is a diff since there are 2 diffrent kits, so they should be here in well lets say AUGUST 18th! :cussing: :cussing: :redx: and like ne other cussing there is! It pissed me off, how much diffrent can they be ne way....but better safe than sorry. SO all the ppl looking for new disks for a 98 or 99 Durango there are 2 DIFFRENT kits from SSBC one for 98-99 and one for 00-02 so carfull

#17 ·
I have an '01 R/T with Powerslot disc fronts and OEM drums rear, and an '03 R/T with OEM discs front and rear. I think the '03 R/T stops quicker and with less trauma - the '01 R/T always feels like it's nosediving when I hammer the brakes.

I've heard the disc conversion kits are good but not great because the proportioning system isn't as balanced as the vehicles which came with 4-wheel disc brakes from the factory.

Front rotor upgrades are almost a requirement with these trucks, well worth the cost.

#18 · (Edited)
..SO get a proportioning valve out of a vehicle that DID come with discs from factory..like a 2003 Durango or Dakota. They did..or were at least optional.

http://www.dodgedakotas.com/boards/gen/21154.html explains whats needed to perform that swap. Buying replacement parts new from dealer only came to about $400...calipers, brackets..etc. The only difference might be running new larger brakelines to the rear, but this person said the stock drum lines worked fine i believe.

G
#21 ·
Well how ironic, my brakes came in TODAY, the day before Woodward Dream Cruse and tehy said they werent even going to ship till the 28th so its awsome, i have alot of work today such as wash and stuff hope to see some of u guys out there! :mullet:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.