Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if it's possible to change the light-up portion of the control panel knobs to a darker blue or even red?

I recently installed the Nu-image platunum guages, which changed the acpanel and headlight panel to a deep blue/red color pattern. The stock color is that minty green/blue color. I would like the interior to match, of course, but don't want to go with knob covers or replacements...

Any idea on whether or not you can pop the clear piece out and tint it or paint it?

· Premium Member
5,240 Posts
DEMONiAM said:
Anyone know if it's possible to change the light-up portion of the control panel knobs to a darker blue or even red?

I recently installed the Nu-image platunum guages, which changed the acpanel and headlight panel to a deep blue/red color pattern. The stock color is that minty green/blue color. I would like the interior to match, of course, but don't want to go with knob covers or replacements...

Any idea on whether or not you can pop the clear piece out and tint it or paint it?
The knobs pop off really easy, you should see the plastic channel that carries light from the back of the knob to the front, it shouldn't be too hard to experiment with some translucent paints - just put a thin layer on the back end of the clear plastic.

· Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I pulled a knob off tonite to see if I could figure something out. Looks like these are a 4 piece construction job. outer knob, inner white plastic structure. circular metal piece inside the white part, and a translucent blue piece that runs the full length of the inner part.
Wish that I could figure out how in the hell to dissassemble it. Anyone got a clue besides a hammer or sawsall? Getting the translecent piece out would let my dye or paint it a darker blue

· Registered
1,673 Posts
I pulled the knobs of and took a look. Like you said, inside the knob is a clear piece that should carry the light, but the only part visible when the knob is mounted is white, and I don't think it's translucent.

The light comes from inside the control cluster, and the y look dim as well. There has to be a way to replace those bulbs, and if they are replacable, then they should be upgradable!

· Registered
744 Posts
DEMONiAM said:
I pulled a knob off tonite to see if I could figure something out. Looks like these are a 4 piece construction job. outer knob, inner white plastic structure. circular metal piece inside the white part, and a translucent blue piece that runs the full length of the inner part.
Wish that I could figure out how in the hell to dissassemble it. Anyone got a clue besides a hammer or sawsall? Getting the translecent piece out would let my dye or paint it a darker blue
Here is what I'm going to do. On the knobs there is a white indicator line, this is just a thin piece that you can cut out with a sharp X-acto knife, now that it is removed there is the blu/greenish plastic exposed. I am going to paint that with candy blue paint. I will be doing this today or tomorrow, I'll let you know how it works.
Bill

· Registered
744 Posts
DEMONiAM said:
most definately. let me know how it works out. I thought that's what I had to do....I'll let you be the guinnea pig though :jester:
Right on. Off the subject, I'll email you tomorrow about the plates that go behind the door handles.
Bill

· Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I decided not to wait...Bought some translucent blue acrylic from the hobby store and painted the whitish strips. It looks real nice. deep blue like the guages. Post photos tonite/tomorrow...

· Registered
744 Posts
Cool. I decided to go with billet knobs. Haven't bought them yet.
Bill

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.