Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe someone can help me out about the cold air intake saving gas. I have a '96 Dakota that has a stock air intake that has a heat riser tube that comes off of the exhaust manifold. If I get a cold air intake won't this make my truck run richer(no hot air from the exhaust now)? The computer will lean the fuel back once it kicks out of loop mode and figures out the engine is warm right? But with the cold air intake it will not get the warm air and will run rich. The CAI manufacture is claming an increase in fuel mileage of 2-3 mpg, how is this possible if the truck is going to be running richer?

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
that hot air tube only works on start up, you will never know it's not hooked up. i don't know if you will get 2-3 mpg more, but it should help if you stay off the gas.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
The engine will be working more efficiently with a less restrictive air intake leading to the TB. That is why you save on gas.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a '98 Durango with the 5.2L Magnum. Will I really notice two or three gallons if I don't stomp on it, if I install one of these intakes?

Russ

·
Registered
48 Posts
Short answer is no. Simple really....While cooler intake air may increase power, cooler is more dense, more O2, more gas, more power. With todays computer controled engine systems there will be no mileage increase. Everything coming in is carefully measured, the correct amount of fuel added and the resulting exhaust checked again for composition. We ....(muscle car builders) of course are after the cooler air for power....the dyno reflects these gains......however for MPG....totally different story......it remains the same if not goes down guys....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts