Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Getting Old
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now to me this makes perfect sense...i asked someone already and she said there must be a reason that no one has done it. I said no one else has thought of it. Why dont people just put coil overs in place of the original shocks, and eliminate the leaf springs? I realize youd have to put a cross bar or what ever in place, and that because they would be closer to the center of the axle that the ride wouldnt be as smooth. And that u would probably also have to reinforce the mounting locations. But i just wanted to know if im the only one that has ever thought of this. I mean, how much are hangers and blocks and all that rear suspension shizz, when u could swap in a nice pair of coil overs, even maybe adjustable ones to get a little bit of towing lift back, and call it a day.

·
Getting Old
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well what if u took out all of the leaves from the spring pack except for the longest one and left it on just to retain the "horizontal", i guess, stability?

·
Banned
6,056 Posts
People don't go to coils from leafs because it isn't worth it. It would be too much fabrication and work for the end result to be that noticable. When setup right, leafs will perform just as well as coils. Unless you're rock crawling with some Dana 60's and 35's or bigger, there's no need to do it...

·
Getting Old
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im not rock crawling...and it was just an idea i got out of no where. And i figured it would be cool if u had adjustable coil overs so in case u still wanted to put something in the back u could lift it a couple of inches, like two, but still.

·
Getting Old
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
9RT9 said:
DownBoi,

Here you go. Found this on krc performance.

http://www.krcperformance.com/newcontent/suspension.html
Yeah ive seen that before....thanks though. But i dont see why there would be a wheel hop problem with the single leaf setup, the majority of the weight would be on the coil springs, and i thought that was the point of the coilovers, to reduce if not even eliminate wheel hop.

·
318 Posts
wheel hop is caused by the axle twisting under load, instead of a arch it turns into a "s" shape. so the weaker the leaf the easier it will do this. I just think by the time you get it to work correctly trying to use the single leaf and coilvers you would have spent the same amount on a ladder bar/ 4link, but you never know till you try it, it just seems like your trying to "rig" somthing

·
Getting Old
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MagnumDak said:
it just seems like your trying to "rig" somthing
:rofl: Yeah...pretty much, i was trying to think of a cheaper way to drop the rear and do something cool in the mean time. But i guess the ladder bar would just make a lot more sense...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.