Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was shifting into 3rd and my truck made a loud noise like it jumped out of gear when I let the clutch out. But it didn't jump out of gear, so I took it out and put it back in, it locks in nice and smooth. Acts like I'm in neutral 1st-5th and reverse. I can hear a chater coming from the clutch like the pressure plate is barely riding on the fly wheel but it just doesn't want to grab. It makes this noise weather the clutch is pushed in or out and varies through the range of motion while actuating it.

98 5.2ltr 5 speed

·
eat cheese or die!
388 Posts
my guess, clutch.

·
Dakota for Life!
1,961 Posts
One tell tale way to find out if your clutch is slipping or not will be a "stinky" smell after rolling from a dead stop up to speed. Or listening to the rpms jump when you mash the gas, but the truck doesn't accelerate with the pedal mash. If the rpm's do jump, but nothing happens, it's then you should smell the stink. Check the clutch. Manual transmissions do not slip. Hope this helped. Good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ScojoDak said:
One tell tale way to find out if your clutch is slipping or not will be a "stinky" smell after rolling from a dead stop up to speed. Or listening to the rpms jump when you mash the gas, but the truck doesn't accelerate with the pedal mash. If the rpm's do jump, but nothing happens, it's then you should smell the stink. Check the clutch. Manual transmissions do not slip. Hope this helped. Good luck.
The truck doesn't move

·
eat cheese or die!
388 Posts
aw, man that sucks. hope ya get it back on the road soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.