Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is "Wife" of 4by4byGod...HI!

When driving my 98 Durango, I can feel a shifting through the steering column...like the front axle has a bit of play in it. It has not worsened since I got the truck 8 weeks ago.
I can feel it in the steering wheel and it feels more like it is coming from the COLUMN than the steering wheel itself....you can feel it happen when you drive over the asphalt "bumps" in the highway.
It's an "up and down" motion. Well,....actually it is more like the motion your hands make if you were to imitate putting your hands on a motorcycle throttle. A "c" shape motion.
I just want to know if this is common, and is it something I should RUN to the dealership to have fixed?
I did get an extended care warranty...YAY for ME! :help:

Lisa
PROUD 98 Durango owner.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had the same problem with my old 98 Dakota, turn out to be the intermediate shaft in the steering column. I think there is a TSB out there for it back then.....it was a 400 dollar part...it took 3 trips to the dealer for them to finally figure it out. Actually i went somewhere else and had it diagnosed and then told them what was wrong..they changed it and problem was gone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got the wobble and found the same problem. Does anyone know of a write up on the upper shaft?
I dont want to take it when I can do it myself but I'm having trouble finding a correct part #
2002 4wd 5.9

·
Registered
368 Posts
The intermediate steering shafts can be found all over Ebay. There's the lower shaft (with the u joints) that is the common part to cause issues. You can get the other section attached to the shaft that goes up through the fire wall and into the steering wheel, but that's a whole lot of work to replace the upper shaft. Chances are good it's just the lower portion that's causing the grief. Local dealers (Canada pricing) want $400+13% tax just for the part. I ordered it online with shipping and it came to half that. I installed it myself in about an hour. You can check the FSM for info: http://www.biodsl.com/durangofsm.htm

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I have a similar issue but not over bumps. My issue is when I come to a stop and as I'm accelerating I get a clunk. I've had the truck 2 years and the problem hasn't gotten any worse.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine feels like the front end is walking from sode to side when I'm up to speed. I know its the uppershaft. My concern is the clockspring and such. I juat dont want to make a bigger mess by fixing it blindly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts