Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Resident Craigslist Whore
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need a sub box for my 02 club cab kota to put my 2 Rockford Fosgate 10's in. ive looked on supercrewsound.com and a few other sites and found the same setup, the thunderform from MTX audio. are there any other companies out there that make the same basic setup? will these boxes allow me to put my amp in between the two subs, or will it have to be mounted elsewhere, like under a seat or something?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Yep, the amp will have to go under a seat. MTX is not the only company that makes them, but they're the top quality. For others, check out http://dakota-durango.com/parts_audio.php

And there's a very small range of subs that actually fit inside of a thunderform, it's got an odd shape to it.

If you decide to get a thunderform, wait it out and scope out craigslist.. I got one for $80

·
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And there's a very small range of subs that actually fit inside of a thunderform, it's got an odd shape to it.
what kind of "odd" shape? my subs are the P3S shallow 10's which (at the time i bought them) were the thinnest 10's you could buy. i actually made a custom center console for my reg cab 04 dakota. the subs fired outward toward each seat in a custom built box, thats why i needed the thinnest ones.

·
Registered
878 Posts
what kind of "odd" shape? my subs are the P3S shallow 10's which (at the time i bought them) were the thinnest 10's you could buy. i actually made a custom center console for my reg cab 04 dakota. the subs fired outward toward each seat in a custom built box, thats why i needed the thinnest ones.
The kind of odd shape shown here, bottom of page 2: http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/Manuals/236/236DDXP20U.PDF

Some shallow mounts won't work because they're too wide. Yours might, I don't know.

·
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the help. ill have to measure mine up and see if they will fit. if not, i guess ill be makin ANOTHER box for my truck. good thing ive got nothin better to do :mullet:

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
thanks for the help. ill have to measure mine up and see if they will fit. if not, i guess ill be makin ANOTHER box for my truck. good thing ive got nothin better to do :mullet:
make me one while your at it. im tired of not bein able to use my backseat. lol

·
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
make me one while your at it. im tired of not bein able to use my backseat. lol
hahaha, well i dunno bout the gen II, dont those have even less space under the seat than gen III's? hell, if i had a truck to use for mockup, i could see if i can do something. i stuffed my 2 10's in a center console box for my gen III reg cab and still used some of the factory full length center console, so i guess anything is possible.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
hahaha, well i dunno bout the gen II, dont those have even less space under the seat than gen III's? hell, if i had a truck to use for mockup, i could see if i can do something. i stuffed my 2 10's in a center console box for my gen III reg cab and still used some of the factory full length center console, so i guess anything is possible.
yea there's all of 3 inches under the seat in a gen II. maybe.
imma eventually get around to making a box someday. im gonna build it to fit two twelves and have a console deal in the middle for my amps. ditch the 60 part of the back seat and find another 40 then raise the two 40's according to the box under em.

sure its less head room for people in the back but its really not all that comfortable anyways so a little less headroom wont be missed too terribly much lol

·
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that could turn out pretty good, really. and you may not even have to raise the seats up that far, either. if you make the whole bench part 1 piece, you can use the width to get the airspace you need in the box instead of making them deep or tall. theres a guy on another website i frequent that did a custom setup where he split the rear bench seat in an extended cab silverado and put in a full length center console, and mounted the amps in the headliner. it looked absolutely sick... tons of custom work. ended up with a 4 seater extended cab truck.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
thats almost exactly what im goin for. and yea im hopin ill only need to raise the bottoms just enough to clear the subs. and ive been thinkin about gettin some gen III buckets to put up front so may as well extend that console to the front. i like the idea of amps in the head liner. thats different.

·
10 Second Club
4,009 Posts
After reading all this it game me some ideas for I want to do now. I am going to do just 1 12" or 10" sub on the passenger side with the amp in the middle and then mount a fire extinguiser(sp) on the driver side so I can grab it fast. Or maybe mount it to rear rollbar behind the shoulder of the seat. Then just put a nice graphic or something on the panel covering everything. hmmm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts