Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm pretty sure, from my limited automotive knowledge, that it's either my torque converter or transmission.

I can smash it when already moving, and the truck will do fine. When accelerating slowly from a light, though, it sounds like sticking a credit card in a spinning fan. Or like, the clicking of a ratchet moving at a decently fast speed.

The weird thing is... This was happening during the winter. Then I lifted the truck. I had to drive it for a few miles with no transmission support cross-member (I used a tiedown strap as a temporary one) but the sound wasn't happening during that trip, or at least it wasn't really apparent. Now that I have the cross-member back on, the noise is even louder than before, and it sounds like the metaphorical fan, as mentioned above, is spinning faster than it was before. And it's louder.

Edit: copied from my post below: I don't think it's any of the u-joints. Those are brand new, 2000 miles on them.. and they're not spinning nearly as fast as I hear the clicking. The credit card in a fan they're not spinning nearly as fast as I hear the clicking. The credit card in a fan reference... it's really that same sound. The clicking noise stays at a consistent speed and that speed is completely unrelational to how fast the truck is moving. In fact, if i'm not even moving, the clicking is going just as fast (as when I tap the gas going up the hill from a stop) the hill from a stop) I couldn't get it to happen in reverse. But then, it wouldn't even do it going forward. It does kind of seem like an intermittent problem at this point.. the only difference is ast night it was slightly wetter, and about 20 degrees cooler than it is right now

·
Shitter Outlaw
2,574 Posts
Do u have a knuckle or a u-joint binding up? I would look into that when u didn't have ur crossmember the trans sagged now that its where its suppose to be u may have a bind in a drive shaft

·
Registered
358 Posts
Universal joints.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think it's any of the u-joints. Those are brand new, 2000 miles on them.. and they're not spinning nearly as fast as I hear the clicking. The credit card in a fan reference... it's really that same sound. The clicking noise stays at a consistent speed and that speed is completely unrelational to how fast the truck is moving. In fact, if i'm not even moving, the clicking is going just as fast (as when I tap the gas going up the hill from a stop)

I couldn't get it to happen in reverse. But then, it wouldn't even do it going forward. It does kind of seem like an intermittent problem at this point.. the only difference is last night it was slightly wetter, and about 20 degrees cooler than it is right now.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have a sound as well, increases in speed as the wheels turn, so I think its brakes.

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
Does it get louder / worse when turning and accelerating?

While running without the cross member wasn't smart...I would think that the only real thing that could damage would be u-joints, and motor mounts - while adding a lot of NVH to the cab.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does it get louder / worse when turning and accelerating?

While running without the cross member wasn't smart...I would think that the only real thing that could damage would be u-joints, and motor mounts - while adding a lot of NVH to the cab.

It stops at about 5mph... turning has no effect. I drove it at about 7mph the whole time without the crossmember btw.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I doubt it can be anything past the transmission, considering it happens when the truck's not moving.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
Sounds like an exhaust leak?

I hear it - as you described, when your on the gas for the first few MPH.

How are your motor mounts and manifold to y-pipe connections?

Other than that - sorry, I don't have a clue.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds like an exhaust leak?

I hear it - as you described, when your on the gas for the first few MPH.

How are your motor mounts and manifold to y-pipe connections?

Other than that - sorry, I don't have a clue.
I don't know about an exhaust leak, doesn't happen in reverse or when I rev it in neutral.

I'll have to check the motor mounts, though, maybe the engine is rattling back and forth

Are your torque convertor bolts tight?
I'll have to check that as well... uhh, I checked the service manual and I can't really find the bolts I should be looking at, any advice on where to look?

·
Banned
2,773 Posts
Usually clicking = u-joints

Easy to check those on the shafts..just crawl under, and turn. If drive shafts are loose..there you go.

·
The bike-obsessed lunatic
1,450 Posts
Could also be your flex plate. Does it do it every time? Or just occasionally?

·
110 HP, 11.1 MPG. FML
4,370 Posts
... have you checked the fans?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Could also be your flex plate. Does it do it every time? Or just occasionally?
Just occasionally, actually. Which is why it took so long to get this video. What could go wrong with a flex plate, is it a tough fix?

·
Durango Fan / DoC member
75 Posts
Did you find out what it was? My 2003 Durango is doing the same sound. Goes away though when switching to neutral or changing from AWD to 4HI... Strange..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im having same issue. 01 Dakota 4x4 4.7. Started couple wks ago. I do know i have some play in both front and rear axles so likely related (noise is from rear and mostly while foot is on gas but can hear it occassionally while coasting). I hear it most when accelerating from stop or low speed altho i believe the noise is always there, as mentioned above while givin'r gas, however due to wind noise at excessive speeds the sound (clicking) is simply drowned out. It's being looked at tomo' so i'll get back with an update.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Apologies for not gettin back as soon as i said i would .... So in my instance, 01 Dakota quad cab 4.7 4x4 auto, the middle universal joint was the culprit. Replaced it, about a wk & 1/2 ago, and havent heard the noise since. Mechanic said it was pretty bad. Quite a bit of play. He said the sound was carrying/travelling down the shaft so that it sounded like it was coming from the rear of the truck but it was indeed the middle u joint.
Next, unrelated, I hollow out each of my 3 cats. They're all original still and plugged enough that performance is starting to suffer quite noticeably. It'll be nice to free er up!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts