Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Washington, and a few days ago about a foot and a half of snow dumped down on us. I turned it into 4-HI and it drove fine, but here and there there was a weird sound. It kind of sounded like a branch was stuck and something was rubbing up on it. Then it started making a metallic clicking noise occasionally. Then it progressed to clicking full time in 4wd but not in 2h. So I switched it over to 2h and just parked it until the roads cleared.
Next time I drove it, it started clicking in 2wd, but only when I was driving straight at a slow pace, like a parking lot. It didnt click on turns.

Now, you hear the click almost non stop until im driving about 35 mph +
It does it in neutral and when in gear, but not when idling.
Also it doesn't do it very much when its cold, but once it warms up it gets going.

Visually everything looks fine as far as axles and what not. What should I look for in the joints? The tie rod has some play and can be twisted but would that cause all the noise?

·
Registered
2003 Dakota Sport
50 Posts
Does the clicking speed up in proportion to the vehicle speed, or is it a consistent click, regardless of speed?

Also, welcome from another Washingtonian.

·
Registered
198 Posts
In my case it is just one single click or clunk when starting from a stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
I hate you people.
2,832 Posts
Check your front and rear drive shafts. The front axle CV-joint only has a 40K mile life and then needs to be rebuilt. I just had my truck go down after the CV-joint on my 03 blew up and damaged my transfer case as well.

·
Registered
198 Posts
You referring to the shaft coming from the transfer case going to the front diff? Or the main drive shaft to the rear diff? I had my two front drive shafts replaced recently.

My clunk or click sound happens about a second after I press the gas. Doesn’t seem to be the sound of play being taken up since it clunks or clicks JUST AFTER the wheels start accelerating. I just installed a 3” lift and new shocks too and possibly may have done something there. Maybe my shock mount bolts too tight? Idk. It seems to be intermittent or just starting so I’ll just have to keep an eye on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts