Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the wife just got her clear corner lights in the mail today from eastcoast truckin, the package only came with 2 orange bulbs. there also was one small bulb pre-installed in each light

Did I get Jipped or are you sapposed to use 1 factory bulb in each light???

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
DakotaDurango said:
the wife just got her clear corner lights in the mail today from eastcoast truckin, the package only came with 2 orange bulbs. there also was one small bulb pre-installed in each light

Did I get Jipped or are you sapposed to use 1 factory bulb in each light???
That's the way the companies shipped them out, it's not Chris's fault. Each lens does use two 3157 bulbs plus one 194 bulb. Depending on your state laws you may be able to re-use your clear bulbs for all of the lenses, although some states do require the use of amber bulbs in either the corner or all positions.

If you want to use ambers all the way around it's easy enough to buy some amber 3157 bulbs from just about any auto parts store.

·
One of the Elite
1,736 Posts
Get These

You could use the clear bulbs, or amber to be safe. I went to advanced auto and got the bulbs below. They are silverstar "corner" bulbs. They are like an irradescent blue, so they look nice and clean in the corners, but they shine amber. My 194 bulbs pictured below are normal amber bulbs that have been painted with engine enamel silver paint. They were lightly dusted, or spectacled with the paint. Dont paint them completely solid, or the light wont shine through.

Take a Look.

~CYCLONE_06

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
should I use any silicone to seal the lights once they are installed???

·
One of the Elite
1,736 Posts
DakotaDurango said:
should I use any silicone to seal the lights once they are installed???

Well, what you wanna do is... seal the outer perimeter on each headlight and the two corners... where the back and the front come together. You can get some clear silicone from Napa or a marine store. After it dries, take a drill and drill a 5/8 hole under each bulb port in the headlights (on the headlights, you might wanna drill two side by side) and the corners (drill one hole under each bulb port). The holes create ways for air to circulate through... and stay dry, and the silicone prevents any outside moisture from getting in.

Hope that helps.

~CYCLONE_06

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CYCLONE_06 said:
Well, what you wanna do is... seal the outer perimeter on each headlight and the two corners... where the back and the front come together. You can get some clear silicone from Napa or a marine store. After it dries, take a drill and drill a 5/8 hole under each bulb port in the headlights (on the headlights, you might wanna drill two side by side) and the corners (drill one hole under each bulb port). The holes create ways for air to circulate through... and stay dry, and the silicone prevents any outside moisture from getting in.

Hope that helps.

~CYCLONE_06
am i doing that where the bulb actually plugs into the "port" on the back of each light...?

·
One of the Elite
1,736 Posts
DakotaDurango said:
am i doing that where the bulb actually plugs into the "port" on the back of each light...?

Well, you can do it there, or anywhere near it. Something like that. Just put it somewhere so that water wont get into the hole. As long as the holes are on the underside, should be ok. Last time I checked, water doesn't run uphill. ;)

~CYCLONE_06

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok guys just got back from autozone to pick up a few things...heading out to do the install now, thanks for the tips and you will be hearing from me again later this evening....Wish me luck! :slice:

:toast:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well fellas got'um in, I didnt use any silicone either, everything looks to be pretty much water tight from the factor. I did have one little hicup... blew the parking light fuze when I was doing the wiring for the small bulb...ooops, but no biggie. I did notice that the 2 bulbs I bought burn lighter than the 2 sent to me, so of course I have to get 2 more from autozone and switch them...wife doesnt like it. She also has a street scene grille comming to so once I get that I will be sure so show you guys the finished product.

·
Registered
402 Posts
DakotaDurango said:
Well fellas got'um in, I didnt use any silicone either, everything looks to be pretty much water tight from the factor. I did have one little hicup... blew the parking light fuze when I was doing the wiring for the small bulb...ooops, but no biggie. I did notice that the 2 bulbs I bought burn lighter than the 2 sent to me, so of course I have to get 2 more from autozone and switch them...wife doesnt like it. She also has a street scene grille comming to so once I get that I will be sure so show you guys the finished product.

Glad to hear that they went in easy for ya. :toast:

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
can't wait to see the pics

G

·
Its not that I don't like it, It's just the bulbs that come with it and the ones we bought at auto zone are to different shades of Amber, One is lighter than the other .

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
go with whatever makes you happy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.