Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have access to a high powered pressure washer that is has a furnace connected to it...is it ok to use this type of washer to clean out an engine bay? the pressure is pretty strong that if you were to put you finger an inch away from the nozzle it would draw blood...Also, should I use the furnace or leave it off?...thanks for any info :biggthump

·
Burnin' the tires away
723 Posts
Well it will take off/damage the molding inside the bay, and is very bad for your paint. If you're washing only certain parts that you aren't concearned about the paint and the parts are fairly strong (steel or aluminum only IMO) then you'd be fine. I wouldn't just go and spray the engine bay to pieces with that beast though.

·
Registered
404 Posts
if u can adjust the nosel do it, spray some degreser in there, kinda warm up the engine first but not too much, then spray degreser, let it sit, spray off with pressure washer, spray more degreser, brush with engine brushes, then spray off again

·
Mike
839 Posts
If it can draw blood from an inch away its too much...go try it on a wooden deck, it would probabally splinter it to all hell...still want to use it on your electrical shit?...I would just put some degresser on and scrub it up by hand then hose it off to be on the safe side...but thats just me..to each his own.. :biggthump

·
Now Nitrous Injected!!!
704 Posts
If you do wash your engine with a pressure washer leave it running.

·
Now Nitrous Injected!!!
704 Posts
DownBoi said:
why do u guys always say "leave it on" or "keep it running"?
I always turn mine off and it starts right back up with no problems...
Better safe than sorry you know.

·
Registered
421 Posts
steve_r/t said:
I have access to a high powered pressure washer that is has a furnace connected to it...is it ok to use this type of washer to clean out an engine bay? the pressure is pretty strong that if you were to put you finger an inch away from the nozzle it would draw blood...Also, should I use the furnace or leave it off?...thanks for any info :biggthump
Steve,

Nooooo!! Way too strong as the pressure will get inside the electrical internals. Use just enough pressure to get all he engine gunk off and be sure to use more chemical to wash and clean. When it's done start it up right away and drive it til the engine dries itself.

rimfire,22

G

·
If the pressure is any stronger than the pressure at a car wash, I wouldn't do it. But I usually do the degreaser soak and then spray EVERYThing with the rinse setting at the car wash. My D loves taking a bath. It drives better when the engine is clean. Although sometimes I do get a little in the k&n filter and it will pop and growl for a little bit.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
if your using the degreaser or any other kind of chemical would a normal garden hose work ok?

·
Getting Old
2,662 Posts
steve_r/t said:
if your using the degreaser or any other kind of chemical would a normal garden hose work ok?
thatll work just fine. Just spray the engine first to get any loose dirt off. Some engine degreasers require u to cover some wires and what not. But just spray the stuff on after rinsing the engine off, let it soak, then rinse it off. Your only gonna get out of it what u put into it. So if u really want it to look clean , ur gonna have to get a brush and scrub it with ur hands.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Sounds like that thing has way to much PSI. I would tone it done and be very careful.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.