Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my truck has been running fairly rough and fuel economy has shot down the tubes! I cleaned the O2s and it helped considerably with the fuel economy and idle. But it still idles a little rough and only getting about 12 mpg which is great compared to the 4mpg i was getting before I cleaned the O2s.

The MAP does work but I would like to clean it to see if it helps at all. Does anybody know how to clean the MAP?

Could the Idle air control motor being going out?

ANy help would be awesome! Thanks.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
What codes do you have, if any?

What do you mean "cleaned the O2's?" Did you have a code? Replace them. They can get "slow" and not throw a code.

There really isn't anything to clean on a MAP sensor. It's just a crystal. Replace it if you think it's bad.

Have you cleaned the IAC passages? They can get pretty nasty.

How's your plenum gasket? Take a look down the throttle body. If you see oil, it's gone, and that can make your idle rough.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took the O2s out and sprayed them with brake cleaner, The slits on the sides were so full of soot that you could not even tell they were there, After cleaning they actually shined up pretty good and the slits had no obstruction.

The only code that came up was a P0171.

I have not checked the IAC passages.

·
9,489 Posts
I took the O2s out and sprayed them with brake cleaner, The slits on the sides were so full of soot that you could not even tell they were there, After cleaning they actually shined up pretty good and the slits had no obstruction.

The only code that came up was a P0171.

I have not checked the IAC passages.
Cleaners and chemicals destroy O2 sensors.. Just replace them at this point if they could be older than 30-50k.. Especially since you have a mixture code. The upstream O2 sensor(s) control the mixture.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still have not cleaned out the IAC passages. But when I looked into the throttle body earlier it was coated in a thin layer of what i think may be gas, not very dirty and smells like gasoline.

I also, just to do a quick easy test if the map sensor was shot, I unplugged it while it was running, My truck then started to run significantly worse. I plugged it back in and it started to run better. rough still, but no worse than before. So my map isnt shot, at least not totally.

However it is back down to the 5-6 mpg area.

Would a bad O2 cause this or even the moisture in throttle body?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Bad O2's will kill your mileage.

A dirty throttle body and clogged IAC passages will make it run/idle like crap.

Change the O2's. If you "cleaned" them they should be really easy to get out. Then PULL the throttle body and clean it out. You can't tell much by looking at it. Remove the IAC and blow out the passages.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I cleaned the IAC and passages. My idle went from anywhere from 400-750 rpms to a steady 650. Changing gears didnt even move the needle. After driving around for about 10 minutes the idle started to get sporadic again.

With that said I am going to replace the O2s and that IAC. Hopefully that will fix it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts