Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
1 Timothy 6:6-16
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys using to clean up the engine bay? The Rango aint bad but I'd like to clean it up some. Would Simple Green or something like that be ok, coupled with a pressure washer?

·
American Rebel.
13,460 Posts
I use purple power or engine degreaser. let it soak and rinse. wouldnt reccomend pressure washing, as it may cause misfires. everytime I wash the motor in mine, a coil goes bad.

·
American Rebel.
13,460 Posts
no problem. avoid pcm and alternator, youll be fine

·
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinkin about baggin those items up, before spraying the cleaner on. Gonna have to wait till spring anyway..lol It's starting to get to where it stays around 30's here..lol

·
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe it'd be ok to do it then during the winter? I've done ol skoll cars but never a computer controled monster like the Rango..lol Fire it up, spray on cleaner and let soak/just start to heat up and rinse.?

·
9,489 Posts
I don't know what the hell Texx has been doing wrong, but I just hose mine down with the high pressure guns at the self-serve carwash and use the 'degreaser' or 'tire cleaner' selection. Dirt roads aren't kind to the engine bay just in the layer of clay dust that gets on everything, and some of them get so bad when it rains that if I hit a puddle (read: lake) I basically have to bog through it - which puts a thick coat of adobe mud all over everything.. I just bag the intake (I have a cone filter right on the TB) - nothing else gets special protection - and hit'er with the gun.

I've done it countless times and never had any issues or lost any coils. They are hermetically sealed, so unless they were already physically damaged, water can't hurt them. Same with the PCM - inside the metal case it's fully potted in rubberized goop, so it is completely waterproof. The alternator is not sensitive to water. It is the same alternator as they use on Jeeps - which can run totally submerged (with a snorkel on the engine of course).

·
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't know the coils and puter were sealed like that. I guess I'm gonna have to weigh this out in my mind... There is so much crud in there I bet it wasn't ever washed in 198k ..lol

·
Home School Valedictorian
4,204 Posts
I didn't know the coils and puter were sealed like that. I guess I'm gonna have to weigh this out in my mind... There is so much crud in there I bet it wasn't ever washed in 198k ..lol
Just do it...as Taz says, you will be fine. I have been doing my cars, carbed and FI for 35 years, not one problem, ever.

·
Pre-Teen Giggle Brigade
6,840 Posts
When i do an engine bay i soak it in cleaner heavily, let sit, start the vehicle, pressure wash it, the spray tire shine on it while still wet, wipe it down, clean the otside.

·
9,489 Posts
Uhrrrr two things wrong with that.. first of all, you are nuts if you spray water around the intake of a running engine. There's no reason to have it running.

Second, tire shine is silicone. It is not a cleaner and it does nothing to protect, all it will do is rapidly attract dirt. No different than hosing it down with Armor All.

The tire stuff that comes out of the spray gun at the car wash is a cleaner/degreaser. I only mentioned it because some self serve washes frown on cleaning engines, therefore don't have an 'engine degreaser' button.

·
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok so silicone is out. Your right they reall do frown on engine cleaning..I have done a mc in a carwash..lol Oil line blew off and caoted me and the bike...lol It's not gonna hurt anything to spray the cleaner on a hot engine will it. I have a small 1750 Husky power washer, I could use that and the engine would be cold.

·
Home School Valedictorian
4,204 Posts
I would do it on a warm engine, not hot, it will help to loosen the crud. There is a self service car wash a mile away from my house, starting with a cold engine, I drive straight there, engine is not up to full operating temp by then.
I usually use Gunk Engine Brite Engine Degreaser and get really good results. I have also used the tire cleaner at the car wash, I don't think it does as good of a job though, and I usually wash mine either early in the morning or late evening when the wash attendant isn't around.
Using tire shine on an engine bay after cleaning gives great results...for a short time, as mentioned it attracts dust. It is an old car lot trick.

·
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll be better off doing it at home then, cause the car wash is about 7 miles from me. I would like the shine of the tire shine but I have a lot of dirt covered roads by me so it would be dirty fast. I hear ya about the attendant,my buddy does engines right in the back of his truck at the carwash..lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts