Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
5.2-Toned SLT
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a clay bar kit earlier (Mother's California Gold) and tried it out. Bought it as suggested to remove the green paint on my fenders (see below). I used it as the box and a youtube demonstration had shown me.

1) Re-cleaned the surface with just water and a towel (I just washed it a couple days ago when got my wheels)
2) Sprayed the lubricant stuff on the area
3) kneaded the clay into a ball, flattened it into a disc shape
4) "Little to no pressure" slid the disc left to right across the surface, then I swapped to an up and down motion. Even tried small cirlces
5) Grabbed the supplied microfiber towel and wiped clean.

Nada.

The clay did however get dirty. So it picked some crap up, but I saw no change in the specks. I also didnt notice a change in the before and after "plastic baggie test" I did on a spot on the hood. IMO it was equally rough, but my paint has never been near show quality.

Only other thing I can think to try would be to wet sand it off with 2000 or better paper and then buff the clear. Im afraid to though. Plus, I dont have a buffer.

That or try some paint thinner :nono:

·
Wheres the mud...
295 Posts
Theres no way its gonna take off paint, if so it would take off you white paint... I have use this exact kit, and love it. It definatly brings out the quality in you paint surface, and makes it MUCH smoother.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Do you know what kind of paint the green stuff is? If the white paint is OEM or equivalent base/clearcoat, just get some laquer thinner, put some on a cotton rag and wipe the green paint off. Unless the green stuff is epoxy paint or something like it, the laquer thinner should cut it. Afterwards wash the area well, apply a hand glaze or maybe some Finesse-It, then apply a good wax.

·
#19 ƃop ǝnןq ǝןʇ&#
13,196 Posts
I tried the clay bar kit before...didn't work..waste of my money...so I got some paint reducer and used a rag...paint came right off....truck finish was unharmed

·
5.2-Toned SLT
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you know what kind of paint the green stuff is? If the white paint is OEM or equivalent base/clearcoat, just get some laquer thinner, put some on a cotton rag and wipe the green paint off. Unless the green stuff is epoxy paint or something like it, the laquer thinner should cut it. Afterwards wash the area well, apply a hand glaze or maybe some Finesse-It, then apply a good wax.
No idea what it is or where I got it from. All i know is it's green and its all over the fenderwell. I assumed it was a mud splatter since the truck hadn't been cleaned in a while and it had been raining, but after seeing the powerwasher not knock any off I looked closer.

I guess Ill try the thinner next. I was going to stick a bit on a q-tip and try removing from the underside of the fender where it isn't seen incase it screws the paint up.

Thanks for the ideas.

·
5.2-Toned SLT
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried the clay bar kit before...didn't work..waste of my money...so I got some paint reducer and used a rag...paint came right off....truck finish was unharmed
I wasnt impressed either. I'll take a closer look at the patches I did tomorrow in the sun. I did a square on the hood and the tonneau. With it being cloudy I didnt see a difference. :rant:

·
Registered
82 Posts
its not for full on paint like that, you can use it on overspray it does work on that

but as far as claybarring in general they are worth every cent if you really care about how your truck looks, i used to use it on my cavalier at least 2 times a year and it just made the paint look awesome

·
Registered
664 Posts
:jester: at people saying a clay bar does nothing and they are a waste of time :funny:
:funny: - what is funny is they arent that hard to use and like andrew said, whoever thinks they dont do anything can we use your bongs so we dont get ours dirty??????????

And claybar's help pick up contaminents on the paint that you would normally buff right into it and scratch the surface with......this may be tough to grasp, the clay bar wont do ANYTHING for visible appearance - ever, perhaps, tried to FEEL a difference in a section you have done???????????

Todd

·
Registered
18,117 Posts
I can't believe Russ hasn't chimed in on this thread considering the caliber of it. Yikes.

·
Shannon Huffman
484 Posts
If it's latex based paint, paint thinner probably won't cut it either .... then again, if it's latex paint it should pick off pretty easy with a fingernail.

·
Home School Valedictorian
4,250 Posts
Looks like you ran over an alien.

Reactions: mthandt

·
5.2-Toned SLT
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:funny: - what is funny is they arent that hard to use and like andrew said, whoever thinks they dont do anything can we use your bongs so we dont get ours dirty??????????

And claybar's help pick up contaminents on the paint that you would normally buff right into it and scratch the surface with......this may be tough to grasp, the clay bar wont do ANYTHING for visible appearance - ever, perhaps, tried to FEEL a difference in a section you have done???????????

Todd
To quote myself in the very first post I said:

The clay did however get dirty. So it picked some crap up, but I saw no change in the specks. I also didnt notice a change in the before and after "plastic baggie test" I did on a spot on the hood. IMO it was equally rough, but my paint has never been near show quality.

And i tried the magic eraser idea alread before claybarring it and nothing happened either.

·
Pre-Teen Giggle Brigade
6,840 Posts
hmm. thats wierd. was the magic eraser damp or did u use it dry?

·
5.2-Toned SLT
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hmm. thats wierd. was the magic eraser damp or did u use it dry?
damp. I soaked it real good in water and squeezed it out a bit before taking it outside so I didn't drip water all over the floor. :huh:

·
Pre-Teen Giggle Brigade
6,840 Posts
thats wierd. before i tried the paint thinner idea i would try a eraser wheel. its like 10 bucks at a specialty store and aparently napa has them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts