Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 88 4X4 with a little over 120K miles on it. My son has been driving it for transportation to school. Discovered that the cig lighter didn't work, so looking at the wire that screws into the back of the lighter the power end was dsconnected. The end of it looks like it had a MALE connector on it but it is broken off. I need to know where this power end is connected at. I know I can run a wire straight from the pos end of battery, but really don't want to do that. My manual isn't very helpful, and I'm not that hot on electical issuess. So a little hand holding is what I'm asking for. Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
Hopefully he just needs this for a car charger for his cell phone. lol Might be bettter off to just buy a replacement lighter socket thing that should come with a simple diagram of how to hook it up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hskrRT,
Thats what I was doing, replacing the cig socket when I found the powerwire going to the end of the cig socket had come undone. I need to know where (not the end that screws onto the socket) gets connected. The wire end looks like it had at one point a male electrical adapator on it. I'm not very good with the electrical stuff, manual doesn't show crap. Wish I could just crawl under a good dash and take a look. I f you happen to know, and could send a pic-WOW that would be helpful.
Thanks again, and NICE rides you got
lgmamszrm

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
hskrRT,
Thats what I was doing, replacing the cig socket when I found the powerwire going to the end of the cig socket had come undone. I need to know where (not the end that screws onto the socket) gets connected. The wire end looks like it had at one point a male electrical adapator on it. I'm not very good with the electrical stuff, manual doesn't show crap. Wish I could just crawl under a good dash and take a look. I f you happen to know, and could send a pic-WOW that would be helpful.
Thanks again, and NICE rides you got
lgmamszrm
Maybe you could take pictures of what you are decribing. Wonder i a previous owner had an accessory hard wired in using the cig power wires at one point.

B

·
0 Posts
The male connector fits over the threaded stud on the back of the lighter assembly. If you just purchased the truck and it was disconnected, I'd replace the lighter unit because there may be a reason it was loose. IIRC, that's a constant 12v power source that is not effected by turning off the switch and if it was hanging up instead of popping out, it could be a real bad fire hazard.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts