Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone changed there's? Is there a gasket out there? Did you replace bolts with stainless steel ones? and what type of gear oil did you use? I'm looking at synthetic (royal purple) Any feedbacks will be appreciated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You don't need a gasket, use a good silicon gasket sealer, like Form-a-Gasket. You can replace the bolts with stainless if you want. Use any good synthetic gear oil, be sure to add Chrysler (only) friction modifyer (4 oz) if you have a limited slip.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i used mobil 1 gear oil (synthetic). Pretty easy job. Looks good. I temporarily put caps on the bolts. I have a open differential, but i added friction mod anyway. Said on the bottle it wouldn't hurt

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Rock, where did you find that Differential Cover? I was thinking that while I am changing the fluid in my rear differential I might as well put a new cap on. Makes sense to me.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Well I actually now I just got some work to do. Thank god!!!! I was not really digging however. Thought crossed my mind while I was playing solitaire on my computer and did some searching online without finding too much. So I did a search for "Differential Covers" on this site and Rock's Chrome Cover popped up. And this is pretty much what I wanted. Might as well make a nice touch up mod to my rear end while I am changing the fluid right?

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
I am not considering doing it to be flashy or anything. I could actually care less about that. More to just dress up the stock things that are on my Durango. That's all. I saw a couple for cheap on the internet so It would not be that big of a deal to swap out the old black one for a nice new chrome one or even just regular brushed aluminum. The amount of money that I will be spending on the fluid is the only thing that will really hurt my wallet.

G

·
fastM said:
You don't need a gasket, use a good silicon gasket sealer, like Form-a-Gasket. You can replace the bolts with stainless if you want. Use any good synthetic gear oil, be sure to add Chrysler (only) friction modifyer (4 oz) if you have a limited slip.
Why Chrysler only friction modifier? I have never used the Chrysler brand stuff, just whatever is available at the local parts store for years.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
every manufacturer has guidelines to fluids. transmission is ATF+4. I've been research'n and the only fluid compatible is amsoil. I was gonna put mobil 1 in, but even they're site doesn't recommend it. however I did put mobil 1 in my differential.

goon I picked it up off of ebay. I think it was $20. I like mod'n and I think it adds a nice touch. let me know if you can't find it.

rock

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
What makes the fluid smell. Do you happen to know the important specs on that diff. cover? I don't want to order the wrong one if I decide to do it. I already have the ramps, just need to get the fluid, silicone, and time, and money. :jester:

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the manual calls for SAE 75W-90, API GL-3. limited slip Mopar hypoid gear oil additive friction modifier. 4.4 - 4.8 pts. (12 bolt configuration) I used mobil 1. no problems

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
I got that chrome diff cover for $16.00!!!! Not bad I think. Now I just need to get the gear oil and friction fluid. Unfortunately the cover does NOT come with bolts. So I will have to go to Home Depot or Autozone to find some stainless steel bolts to match. Does anyone know what the threads size is for these things? I would rather not go to the parts store covered in gear oil with the bolt in my hand if I can avoid it.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I went the cheap route. I bought caps..... :) haven't lost one yet (2 years)

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
I definitely think that chrome caps is the way to go. it is just easier than trying to find bolts. Plus the chrome will come off the bolts when you tighten them down and that will look like sh!t. Thanks for your help guys.

Rock, which friction modifier did you use.

Also, how often are you suggested to change the rear diff fluid.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts