Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a Dakota stereo question but, I just picked up some new 6x9s for my Barracuda and noticed what a hack job I did when I installed the stereo 10yrs ago. I’m going to rewire the speakers and I’m not sure which gauge wire to go with. Here is my current setup,

Alpine CD receiver 25x4
Front speakers, Sony 3.5”, 35 watt RMS
Rear speakers, Pioneer 6x9”, 60 watt nominal (not sue about the RMS rating).

So, what gauge speaker wire should I run? Is 18 gauge good enough? Since I’m not running an amp would I benefit with a larger gauge wire?

·
Premium Member
74,416 Posts
I'm not to much of a stereo expert but I always say the better wire the better the sound .. so that being said I'd say with no amp that should be fine if not more than needed ... I'm running 14 gauge to my 6.5's with an amp running them and they sound great... I'm sure the stereo experts will chime in soon... but IMO that should be fine... :biggthump

·
Premium Member
74,416 Posts
ngsm13 said:
Wire is wire, especially with NO amplifier...18 will be plenty. For speakers, I usually use 14 or 16 guage personally...except for my subwoofer speaker wire which I use 8 guage for ;)

NG
Ngsm were can you get 8 gauge .. I would like to run that to my sub also but can't seem to find it ... maybe im dumb but I can't find it ..lol

I think im running 12 now but not for sure...

·
Registered
667 Posts
DakotaLivLrg said:
Ngsm were can you get 8 gauge .. I would like to run that to my sub also but can't seem to find it ... maybe im dumb but I can't find it ..lol

you should just call up local shops who probably have spools of the stuff sittin around and ask em what they would charge for a few feet.

·
Registered
277 Posts
DakotaLivLrg- i think ive got a few feet or red 8 gauge lying around if you are interested....

funny thing- i went from 8 gauge power wire and 16 gauge speaker wire to 8 gauge speaker with 0/1 gauge power wire :woot:

·
Car Audio God
502 Posts
DakotaLivLrg said:

Ebay is the cheapest! ;)

But, make sure you can fit the 8awg in there...a lot of subs can't...and IMHO it's not needed on what you're running...12awg will be plenty.

nG

·
Premium Member
74,416 Posts
ngsm13 said:
Ebay is the cheapest! ;)

But, make sure you can fit the 8awg in there...a lot of subs can't...and IMHO it's not needed on what you're running...12awg will be plenty.

nG

you don't think that I will need it when i get my new amp runnig a constant 750 watts to my sub?? if not ill just stick with 12 gauge but I always like to get the bigger gauge if i can .. just upgraded my power and ground wires on my wimpy lanzar amp and made a hell of a diff...

Im sure 12 gauge is fine for what im runnig now im just thinking in the future..lol if ya know what i mean...

and johnny i ask some shops and ther like 8 gauge what are you talking about ..lol

oh and sorry :hijack:

S

·
0 Posts
When I totally rewired my '67 Mustang with new deck and speakers, I went to Ultimate Electronics and picked up a 100' spool of Monster Cable Original speaker wire. I think its 12 gauge, and ran that completely throughout the whole car. Front 6.5"s, rear 6"x9"s, and 2 Kicker Solo Baric 10" L7's. That set up sounded better in the stang with the monster cable than it did in my '95 Jeep Grand Cherokee with factory wiring (using all the same radio and speakers between both vehicles). I swear by that stuff now. When I renovated my living room, I ran Monster Cable throughout the whole thing. Love the stuff. Little pricey but worth it in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
74,416 Posts
JohnnyKo12 said:
lol, what the heck, what kind of shop looks at ya funny when you ask about 8awg. Time to get a new shop to buy from ;)

yeah but I still can't find any that have it... but that was a while ago ... im now in a differnet town so should be ok i hope when i finally get some new stuff but for now im good ...

and i went to a shop in tucson and told them that I wanted to run 4awg to my sub and when they hooked it up and they said ok and then they only put like 8awg or 6awg I was so pissed but I didn't find out till a while later and now i did the 4awg myself and hell yeah i lot better for sure ...

and ss rage I hear ya its a little more money but well worth the price I have the monstor pro series rca's and they weren't cheap but they sound a hell of a lot better than the cheap rca's i was running.... :biggthump

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
16-14 gauge should be just fine, you do not need big wire for 6x9's and speakers like that.

·
eat cheese or die!
663 Posts
bigger is better. the higher freq. sound passes along the outside of the conductor so the bigger ya go the better your speakers sound. i swear by monster cable too. best sound around. i had a buddy use jumper cables for his speaker wires. sounded good too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts