Dakota Durango Forum banner

checkmate cover

2K views 4 replies 1 participant last post by  twistedrt01 
G
#1 ·
I called checkmate and their cover is cheap as far as price goes. I
am wondering how hard they are to install. Since checkmate is about 12hours from me. They said it only would cost 60-80 dollars in shipping. Anybody with any info I would gladly appreciate it.

G
#3 ·
I am not familiar with Checkmate but if they are like most of the other brands the frame snaps together and is held down with 2 or 3 clamps per side. The Extang unit I have even came with the allen wrench necessary to tighten the clamps. Even if you have a beer break during the installation it should not take more than an hour.

The only issue is if you have an over the rail bed liner. My 89 Dakota did and I had to remove the bedliner and cut notches in it so the clamps could fit under the edge of the bed rail.

My 99 has an under the rail liner and it only took 15-20 minutes to remove it from the 89 and transfer to the 99, but I did have to take the frame apart.

G
#4 ·
Hey 03qcguy I have that same bed cover on my 01 QC. Its a snap to install. All it requires is screwing in about 10 self tapping screws. I was able to do mine myself but you may want to enlist the help of a friend to help hold it up while you do the final attaching. The only flaw I have found with this product is that it leaks just a tiny bit in the front of the bed where the pieces of sheet metal over lap. But like I said, its only a few drops, nothing major.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.