Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a used 2000 4X4 quad cab dak.. It has 46,000 miles on it and I am currently updating all of the maintenance that was not done to it with last owner. I changed out the plugs today (they were the original-with gaps ranging from .05-.06). All new plugs are appropriately gapped at .04. After I was finished the check engine light now comes on. The truck is running like a dream and I took everything back off and re-checked all connections and plugs. Is the check engine light just the computer resetting itself to the new plugs?

·
Purple - The color of sex
1,229 Posts
Plugs shuldn't trigger the light. Reset the pcm by disconnecting the battery and see if it comes back.

Scratch that. Before you do that take it to your local Autozone or Advance Autoparts and have them run your codes for free and report back here.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It must have been the plugs. Check engine light went out after about 30 minutes of driving. Truck is running like a dream now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Were the new plugs Platinum plugs? I know my truck and my car did not like the platinum plugs. Both threw a check engine light and idled real rough with them. Swapped them out, and no problems. I talked to the dealer and he said for some reason the dodge and chrysler engines don't like those plugs.

Shawn

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not platinum--champion coppers. Don't know what was going on, but engine light has not returned.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Similar issue: Check Engine Light, but I did go to AutoZone

The code that came up said: "PCM has an internal memory fault".

Anyone familiar with this?

Truck is 2001, 4.7L, 5spd, 87K miles, original plugs, nothing else done to motor recently (does have replacement cone air intake and Gibson cat-back 3" exhaust, but both of these have been on for years).

Thanks for any help on this.

:beer:

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
damn.... digging up an old thread here....

Did you try simply resetting the pcm like said above. I mean... the pcm is a computer. sometimes it needs a good reboot.

Paul

·
Registered
17 Posts
Searched for a relevant thread, sorry it was old!

Tried the "disconnect the battery" trick, with the assumption that the PCM would "reboot". First start after I did this, light went out. When I went out to use the truck in ernest, light is bright as ever.

Was hoping this wasn't a dealer-only deal, as I just paid $360 to have the driver's side window winder replaced.

Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts