Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine light came on the other day and I was not able to retrieve any codes from the PCM. I pulled the positive from the battery and reset the darn thing and after one day the light is back on. Still no codes. The truck is running fine, any ideas?

:confused:

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I've heard of speed sensors going bad with no codes. Hope it's nothing serious

S

·
0 Posts
Do you

Do you check your Gas Cap ?
Beleave it or not. If it's not tight it will trun the light on

S

·
0 Posts
key

check this out auto tap I used the key trick.
you have to turn on off about 3-4 times leaving it on when you see codes in the odometer. As you know your not starting the truck.
It will take a few times.
If you can't get it and New Jersey (northen Part)
I may be able to give it a try for you.
Sam

·
DANGURO5
165 Posts
Had the same same problem

I have an 01' durango and two weeks ago my engine light came on so i took it to the dealership to get it checked out and they too told me initially that it could have been my gas cap wasnt on tight enough but that wasnt the case. it turned out that i had a couple of lil holes in the vacuum hoses and the hoses needed to be replaced (4 of them, dont know how many there are in total anyways). total cost of the service was about $150. a lot better than the stoopid price range they gave me initially of $50-$500.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was finally able to pull two codes from the PCM. P0442 and P0455. Each reference to a leak in the Evaporative purge system. :drool:

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
do you have an aftermarket one? locking gas cap??? tighten then clear your codes

S

·
0 Posts
No

No I went to the Gas station and he forgot to tighten it.
ANd the light came on. about a day after i got gas.
Once it was i tightened it and checked the code the light went out.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The cap seemed to be in good condition and tight but I went ahead and installed a new one just in case. I checked all of the lines on the evap system and the canister. We will see what happens in a day or 2.

By the way, that darn canister is in a very bad location mounted to the frame on the drivers side. It sits out in the open with no protection at all. A hit with a rock or road debris would take it out.
:D

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, the cap did nothing for the codes. Two days after I installed a new one from the dealer the codes came back. I think it’s time to visit the dealer and let them deal with it. Besides I received a re-call yesterday to replace the wiper motor so I might as well get it done at one time. Darn I hate going to dealers! :explode:

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
did you reset your pcm?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts