Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys my truck's check engine light came on today. I did the click on off on off x4 while holding the odometer to check the code, and it says "CHEC" that's it...so i'm not sure what to make of that. Truck seems to be running fine so no obvious signs of anything wrong. Maybe an o2 sensor went bad but i'm not sure. This only happened after I had my magnaflow muffler put on, but I don't see how that affected anything in an adverse way. Anyone able to shed light on this? Does Napa provide a service to plug in a diagnostic code reader into your vehicle to tell you what's wrong? I was planning on finding out tommorow so I can fix it myself asap.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
supradakotaman said:
Hey guys my truck's check engine light came on today. I did the click on off on off x4 while holding the odometer to check the code, and it says "CHEC" that's it...so i'm not sure what to make of that. Truck seems to be running fine so no obvious signs of anything wrong. Maybe an o2 sensor went bad but i'm not sure. This only happened after I had my magnaflow muffler put on, but I don't see how that affected anything in an adverse way. Anyone able to shed light on this? Does Napa provide a service to plug in a diagnostic code reader into your vehicle to tell you what's wrong? I was planning on finding out tommorow so I can fix it myself asap.
the word chec is just check. your looking for numbers. you can swing by autozone. I think they still do it for free. I'd reset the PCM and see if it comes back. exhaust work done. might be an O2 sensor

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i plugged in a code reader today and got this:

P0442 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)

So I guess it's nothing big...i cleared the code, but since it is a leak it'll prolly come back in a few days. Anyways, where should I start looking to pinpoint this leak? PCV valve? charcoal cannister? what's the most common place for leakage?

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
gas cap..... check the seal and make sure it's on tight

·
Registered
250 Posts
that fault is normally set if you leave the fuel cap loose after filling the tank with gas. when the computer runs the evap leak test it finds that the system is not sealed because the cap is loose. it can also happen if you leave the eng running ir even the key in the run position while filling the tankif the conditions are right and the test runs at that perticular time.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
probably was the wife that left it loose. Men don't do things like that :jawdrop:

T

·
0 Posts
I work at Advance Auto Parts and we had a customer with the same problem and it was his gas cap. If the the little piece of metal is rusted in the center of the gas cap then you would need to replace the cap. Also check all of your vaccum line to make sure there is no cracks in them. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
damn, i wonder if it's that new locking gas cap i bought...why the hell can't domestic car companies just make gas filler doors with locks like imports. I didn't like the idea of buying a cheapo gas cap replacement just because it has a lock, but i am pretty paranoid someone might try to screw with my truck so i got it for security.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
that's it.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts