Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My check engine light came on my 2000 4.7L 4X4 this morning on my way to work. No issues before, did not drive the truck all weekend.

P0442 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (Small Leak)

What does this mean? I don't know much about new engines. Is this like a PCV valve? Something I can fix myself easily?

Help is much appreciated.

Edit: I'll try what I found in this link first
http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3426&highlight=evaporative+emission+control

·
Registered
498 Posts
check your gas cap and be sure it is tight.
Chris

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Done. Didn't feel "loose", but reset my system by disconnecting negative cable, turning key to on for 20 seconds, and reconnecting negative.
Check Engine lamp is out. We'll see what the commute in tomorrow holds.

Thanks for the info!

·
Forget milk, got beer?
76 Posts
I had the same problem the other day. Just make sure that your gas cap clicks 3 times when you fill up. I'm waiting to see if I get the "nag" light again.

·
Registered
44 Posts
had that too get gas then the next morn reset your pcm and it shout go away if it is not and actual hole somewhere

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have been having same problem too. the first 3x i took the truck into the dealer the first time they repaired some line in the evap sys. and the other 2x they said the gas cap was not on the right way.

i never had any problems with gas caps with my other cars, but with my dakota it does seem to happen every so often. this morning the engine light came on and i came back home and read this post and checked the error code myself p0442 . i didnt get gas since last week so i dont see how the gas cap was loose. so i went and filled up the tank put the gas cap back on nice and tight 4 clicks. and reset the code by taking off neg batt cable.

now the light is off ,and i drove it around and no light so far. i really dont want to bring it back to the dealer only to have them say it's just the gas cap not being on the right way.

i thought it was just me but if others are having this problem there really must be somthing going on with the trucks right?

or maybe bad gas caps. thats what i was thinking it was after the third time..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts