Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
99 Durango 5.9 part out
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've seen a few touch screen dvds for around $250, I've never heard of dual, absolute or boss. or valor

I was really just looking for a blutooth w/ USB port when I came across some of these for about the same price. Needs to be single or 1 1/2 DIN, w/ bluetooth and USB. Sirius would be good since we've got an acct for the wifes car, but I really don't want to spend another $100 for a satellite tuner.

Any one had/have one?

I also think I might go w/ one of these and just forget about the DVD, and save a few bucks.
It's been too many years since I worked in a stereo shop, I don't know what's hot or quality these days. I'm sure the head units w/ out the touch screen are going to be more reliable.

·
i hate stupid old people
590 Posts
ive never heard of any of those other than dual. they are a fairly new company decent quality as far as cd/mp3 head units go. i had a dual in my old car and my dad has one in his truck and it works fine. its been about 3 years since we put his in. i cant say anything on the quality of the dvd head units though

·
99 Durango 5.9 part out
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ive never heard of any of those other than dual. they are a fairly new company decent quality as far as cd/mp3 head units go. i had a dual in my old car and my dad has one in his truck and it works fine. its been about 3 years since we put his in. i cant say anything on the quality of the dvd head units though
Thanks, sometimes new can be a good thing, their trying to get a name so provide a quality product at a decent price. I remember about 10 years ago MA was trying to make a come back from the days they were known as mobile authority and were crap, they began producing some quality speakers at a cut rate price.

·
Registered
49 Posts
meh...dual units look nice, but the quality of them is poor imo. i had a unit from them as a temp unit, and i had to get a separate ipod cable because the one that came with the unit wouldnt stay in place. like it was too small and kept sliding out. and then it would tend to pause my ipod, kinda like when you take your headphones out of the top it automatically pauses. yet nothing was moved. i since got a jvc unit and havent had a problem since.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I never had a problem with my Dual, but when I stepped up to a Clarion from it, I noticed a huge increase in sound quality.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Should try this one out. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_18456_Kenwood+eXcelon+KDC-X993.html Awsome sound quality, has a USB cable you can simply route from under the dash to the cup holders and because it can change the display and button illumination to any color makes it even more kick ass. And it has bluetooth built in.

I may get the lower end KDC-X693 model that doesn't have the bluetooth built in (honestly I dont need that) I dont really like my Pioneer P4100UB anymore.

EDIT: I wouldn't lay a finger on any Dual product, a couple friends have a Dual head unit, another switched out the Rockford Fosgate door speakers that I put in the Camaro I sold to him for some Dual speakers (idiot blew the Rockfords), all of them SOUNDED LIKE SHIT.

·
Registered
49 Posts
yeah mine played alright for the most part once i got a new ipod cable. but stepping up a notch to a better brand would be good. clarion makes nice units too. i've been looking into their double din units. i've done alpine, kenwood, and pioneer so far.

·
Banned
9,045 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have had a kenwood touch screen dvd player it was good but didn't have a digital read out when the screen was inside the dash. However, clarion and jvc make the single din dvd players with a 3.5 screen and from what I have heard the JVC's is better I believe its called the "El Kameleon" looks pretty sharp. Clarion has the usb input though for usb but I think it reads only about 520 songs something like that. Check em out the Clarion is like 139.99 on amazon I found one last night on ebay for 169.99 with the hd radio. the model is VZ309 for the clarion....

good luck

·
Registered
386 Posts
I got my 7" Alpine flip-out/DVD player used off of a Alpine dealer on ebay for $400 (they are about $1200 new), and it is awesome. Great sound quality, great picture, easy to use, and more features than I know what to do with. I also have an Alpine Nav system, but that was extra, but does hook up to my screen/headunit.

As far as just headunits w/out DVD, I have had best luck with Alpine and Kenwood. I had a used Alpine in my Mustang for 6 years and was still working perfect when I traded it for my RT back in Oct. I had a Kenwood in my 2000 Dakota for 9 years before I replaced it with my 7" flip-out. BTW, the Kenwood is still working perfect as I sold it to a friend to put in his Chevy truck, so now it's 10 years old and still working.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts