Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Cody W
7,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen bits and pieces of how to lift a dakota 2" by cranking the torsion bars and shackles? I have a 00 Dakota QC 4X4 and want to get a little lift out of it. Can someone explain what and how to do this, if its possible. I dont really want a body lift, I just want a little lift for a more rugged look as im planning on putting some 285/60/18s on soon. thanks

·
Banned
8,203 Posts
Just go underneath and crank the torsion bars to where you want it. It can easily raise the frontend 1-2" to match the rear. There's a huge nut (15/16") at the end of the torsion bars. Just tighten each side until it's at the desired height and they're both level.

If the rear isn't high enough, you can do lift blocks or shackles. These are a bit more complicated than cranking a bolt.

·
Cody W
7,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok forget the back for now, ill go with the free lift...

is there a good method for getting them both even and level, or should I just measure from the top of the tire to the fenderflare and get them as close as possible? Also, Im not the best mechanic out there, but the torsion bar is the one that comes almost straight down right, and the nut points toward the front I believe? I just dont want to screw something up underthere. THanks again for the help

·
Registered
613 Posts
Well i don't have any pics of what the nut looks like but its located just behind the dvrs door, just underneath. Look for long bars that run from your front control arms to just underneath your front doors. you should be able to see the bolt. When you turn the bolt, its usually easier to use a breaker bar or put a pipe extension on a ratchet to give you leverage. Spraying them with some lubricant might help too before starting. Each turn will give you 1/4" of lift. So 8 turns is 2", which is the max you can go. I did this and then measured from the top of the tire to the bottom of the flare like you said to make sure if it was level.

·
Banned
8,203 Posts
Hopefully you can find it with the description he gave above. It's really not that hard to find. It's the only 2 BIG bolts underneath the truck, that are 15/16". You'll see them...

As for the block/shackles. Just search Google and Ebay. I personally don't like blocks, and would prefer to use shackles. I'm sure you'll like the truck being level though...

·
Registered
488 Posts
Thats all fine and dandy, but what about the back?...Can you put shackles in yourself or does it require special equipment,tools etc? Cost? What size tires coud you get in there after this process??

Out Here!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Well i'm not too familiar with the rear suspension on the dakotas. But as far as i know, the daks have spring over axle and the durangos have spring under axle. Someone can correct me if i'm wrong. Fabtech makes an add-a-leaf for the rear of the dakotas and claims it will raise it 2". As far as the shackles, not sure if they're the same, but they were very easy to install.

·
Banned
8,203 Posts
You can fit 31x10.5" tires stock and no problems. With a t-bar crank you can get away with a 32x11.5 and no problems rubbing. Anything bigger than that and you need a body or suspension lift.

Shackles and blocks need no extra special tools. They are pretty easy IMO.

·
Registered
613 Posts
For the durango, you turn the torsion adjustment bolts 8 turns to aquire 2" of lift. Basically every turn equals 1/4" of lift. Jack the front end up and make sure the wheels are off the ground before doing this. This will stiffen up the ride in the front. You should get an alignment as well after doing this. For the rear, you will need to buy a set of shackles. I got the belltech 6400s. I beleive some people used the 6700s or the western 2001s. Not too sure on those part numbers, someone else might know. The durango rear suspension is a spring under axle system, so you can't use blocks cause this would actually lower it. Remove trailer hitch if you have one and lower spare tire to give more room. You'll need a T-55 torx bit as well to remove shackle bolts. Place a bottle jack or scissor jack in between the frame and leaf spring. Remove shackle bolts, remove old shackle, lower leaf spring with jack until you can fit the longer shackle in, replace bolts. You may need some washers as well to give a better fit. After everything is tight, replace hitch and spare tire. With just going with the shackle, i think you maintain the same ride quality in the rear. I went with an add-a-leaf as well which stiffened up the rear. I don't have any pics yet but i'm sure if you do a search you'll find some. I hope this helps a bit. And if i missed anything, someone else will probably add to this as i'm not an expert on this. I just did this to my durango and love it.

Cheers :wave:

·
Registered
488 Posts
Does this make the truck unstable or unsafe?...just wondering why doesn't the truck come off the lot raised up 2 inches with this done to it..does it void warrenty etc etc. Thanks gents.

Out here.

·
Banned
8,203 Posts
UsRanger11B1V said:
Does this make the truck unstable or unsafe?...just wondering why doesn't the truck come off the lot raised up 2 inches with this done to it..does it void warrenty etc etc. Thanks gents.

Out here.
No, it does not make the truck unsafe or unstable. It doesn't void the warranty either.

The reason the torsion bars are there are so that the factory or dealer can adjust the height and each side, for when the suspension settles, and when it first rolls off the line. It was not made to crank up to give 2" of lift. It creates harsher angles for the CV's and creates more wear. Most people will never notice this as a problem when then have the vehicle. It's only people who max them out, and beat the shit out of the vehicle that see problems later on down the road...

·
Registered
488 Posts
Im not that savy when it comes to putting in shackles or adding leaf springs......Who does these kinds of things and how much would it cost? I would love to do it myself, but just wouldn't trust it.

Out here.

·
Banned
8,203 Posts
I've cranked my torsion bars about 1-2" to level it out with the rear and get rid of some rubbing in the front when offroading. Some people crank the torsion bars and leave the rear alone, because they like the level look (me being one of them). I won't be adding shackles to the rear because my truck sits perfectly level.

·
Registered
66 Posts
to branch off of this all...

Do the Gen IV's have IFS coil overs... meaning no torsion bars? Which would mean that this doesnt apply to me?

Or do i still have torsion bars? i havent been under to look yet.

If no bars... any cheap way such as this to raise my ride?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.