Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last November I got a tip that my local pick n' pull salvage yard had a part time job available. I put in an application along with my resume. I didn't hear from anyone so I stopped by one day and scored a walk in interview and then scored a follow-up interview a week later that included a behind the scenes walk through explaining what my job duties would be everyday. I went and did the physical and drug screening, all they were waiting for was a job code # (basically my employee ID #). I called the day before I was supposed to start and they were on their winter hours with hourly cuts with guys working half shifts.

So 2 weeks ago I talked to my wifes best friend who works there and suggested that I give them a call (I was already planning to do that anyway) because 1 guy was out on injury and she was going to be out after her surgury for a month or 2. I called and got a plan lined up, I called again today and plans changed for the better! Again waiting for a job code # and planning to take a physical and drug test either Thursday or next Tuesday. I've never put this much effort into getting a job but I'm at my wits end working in retail.

I'd still be working in retail because this job I'm looking at is only 24 hours a week so I would have to work the other 2 days at my current job. It's a great move because right now I'm only working 35 hours at $9.25/hr. I'd be working 24 hours at $10.50.hr and the rest at 16 hours at $9.25/hr.

Currently making $323.75 before taxes working 35 hours a week 5 days a week.

The new week would be:
$252+$148 for a total of $400 before taxes.

My hopes are already up, have been since last November! Been thinking about this all day today.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Congrats, I hope it works out well for you and that you enjoy the job. You could probably make some spare cash on the side selling parts to forum members if you were so inclined too.

·
American Rebel.
13,453 Posts
Congrats man. Any kind of job no adays paying is something to hold on to and be lucky for it.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Hope you get it... I'll be sure to stop in if you do, maybe they'll actually have a Dakota this time that's not totally stripped down lol.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hope you get it... I'll be sure to stop in if you do, maybe they'll actually have a Dakota this time that's not totally stripped down lol.
You'd be notified if I see any come in. My job would be to empty out all fluids from the top, remove the battery, clean out the interior/trunk, anything of value gets pulled to the side for the front office area for retail sale. Then move to another station to drain the gas tank, FYI never buy a tank from PNP they all have holes in them!

I'll be calling them again tomorrow for an update.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Congrats, I hope it works out well for you and that you enjoy the job. You could probably make some spare cash on the side selling parts to forum members if you were so inclined too.
Yes, benefits are high with this one because any car/truck that comes in with aftermarket parts will be at my disposal and trust me, I will carry my tools with me!! Craigslist will most likely see my business unless it's dakota stuff!

The day I was going through my orientation, they had a car on the rack with 20" wheels and decent tires. I asked if the employees got 1st shot at something like that and basically said yea if you can afford it before it goes in the yard.

Just hoping things work out for the best right now.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update

Well yesterday I went for my drug test and physical which I passed both as I figured I would. Today I had to call some service and give them some information so they can get my background history which will be good as well.

As of right now the job is going to start out as 1 day a week but it will go to 3 day weeks in a month or so. Their plan is to bring me in and do all my training. When it's time to go 3 day weeks I'll already be trained and ready to go.

In 5-7 days I'll know more about when I start for at least 1 8 hour day.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay so 8 days later and I have another update.

This morning I got 2 phone calls. 1 for another job offer doing a warehouse/shipping job, the company itself actually called me but I called back with a decline because I can't afford to change jobs right now. Not with me trying to get into a house with my current credit and 2 years at Walmart. I have to stay at walmart until after we get into a house. 2nd phone call was the salvage yard with the green light to hire me. I start next week Thursday then the week after that I'll be working 2 days a week plus 4 days a week at walmart.

This has been a long time coming and I hope all the work and patients will be worth the wait.

·
American Rebel.
13,453 Posts
Hey man, congrats, and its a job at least. Its well worth it in this day and age

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I currently work "full time" at Wal-Mart. Their idea of full time is 35 hours a week. I can't really afford to stay at Wal-Mart because of this, yeah I'll be working 6 days straight but I'll be better off financially. Hopefully I'll go 3 day weeks at the yard which will allow me to drop to 2 days at Wal-Mart and have Sunday/Monday off. Looking forward to it!

·
Stop Staring
561 Posts
I get about 35 hours and I'm part time but then again they're stupid and not hiring people so we're short handed all the time at our store.....

Best-o-luck to ya!

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank Obama, just remember "He da' MAN"

Be lucky to have a job. I know I am.
I'm glad to have a job but I gotta get 40+ hours between 2 jobs to afford living life these days. Looking at 48-50 hours a week for the next month. Ah well I'll survive and trust me, I'm always thankful to have a job.

·
Home School Valedictorian
4,225 Posts
I'm no fan of Obama, but Wal*Mart was like that long before Obie came along. :stirthepo
You have to remember, EVERYTHING is Obama's fault.

·
What tha duece?!
254 Posts
Well, if it was not for Obamacare, full time would still be 40 hours a week. Now, to avoid the excessive taxes and penalties, full time is really becoming a thing of the past. Due to the law, anyone who employs a person 40 hours a week or more must provide medical insurance to their employees, a tax or whatever you want to call it that MOST small buisnesses simply cannot afford so inorder to get around it, its part time employment for you.... and this IS obamas fault.

·
Home School Valedictorian
4,225 Posts
Well, if it was not for Obamacare, full time would still be 40 hours a week. Now, to avoid the excessive taxes and penalties, full time is really becoming a thing of the past. Due to the law, anyone who employs a person 40 hours a week or more must provide medical insurance to their employees, a tax or whatever you want to call it that MOST small buisnesses simply cannot afford so inorder to get around it, its part time employment for you.... and this IS obamas fault.
Bull shit, you are oblivious to Walmart practices the last 20 years.

·
"][" {[]} {[]} ][_ 
17,338 Posts
^agreed.

We were on 60 hours a week. We are now on 40. straight 40

It is obama. Mueller, clow, acipco, winergy, henery pratt all infrastructure said if he got reelected they would come to a halt.

Guess what. came to a halt, these are all large valve companies and green energy windmill companies.

The government contracts have dried up and work will also, and that IS a fact.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts