Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of changing the entire suspension on my 2001 Durango and looking at the rear leaf spring on the driver's side it appears that there is not enough clearance between the front spring attaching bolt and the fuel tank to remove the bolt without removing the fuel tank. Anyone else had this issue?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Yup
I cut the head and put a bolt in from the other direction. Gotta be careful though with how much stickout you have. In just the "right" wreck the stub is more likely to poke the tank than the flatter bolt head. The right way to do it would be to drop the tank

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yup
I cut the head and put a bolt in from the other direction. Gotta be careful though with how much stickout you have. In just the "right" wreck the stub is more likely to poke the tank than the flatter bolt head. The right way to do it would be to drop the tank
I did the same thing on a different truck (not a Dakota).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks everyone for your help. I think it is poor engineering on Dodge's part in that they would put a relief in the fuel tank to aid in the removal of the front drivers side rear spring bolt but not long enough to allow removal of the bolt.

Mike

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks everyone for your help. I think it is poor engineering on Dodge's part in that they would put a relief in the fuel tank to aid in the removal of the front drivers side rear spring bolt but not long enough to allow removal of the bolt.

Mike
LOL! I can think of a whole bunch of things that made me think Dodge (& others) did some poor engineering.
But then again, maybe they were engineering job security for dealership mechanics.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
2 things on this particular example of "Dodge's engineering";
They put that bolt in that way in case you happen to get T boned in that area so the bolt stub don't puncture the tank....
and Dodge wasnt alone in that (so called", sarcastically speaking,) "feature"
And #3 how many people ever have to replace the leaf springs on their vehicle? Not many. Whether they do them DIY or whether they take em in to have that work done.
I "had" them done on 1 vehicle in the past..... I have done leaf springs on many more over the years considering where I've worked for a living. I've been turning wrenches since before I was old enough to work legally, (which was 2/3 of my life ago, to date)

When I took my 97 Ram 1500 in to the spring shop to have them do my springs, I watched them, they left the main leaf in place (didnt have to touch that hanger bolt, that truck had the same bolt placement as my Durango) unbolted the U bolts and undid the clamps that were left, and built them up from there "on the truck" with replacing all the rest of the leaves besides the main leaf. It worked fine and did the job as I needed it to all the rest of the time I owned it.
I have also done much the same on other vehicles of mine, myself... Ive built "bastard spring packs" a few times.
My last set of leafs I replaced on one of my vehicles was on my 78 Plymouth Fury 2 door hardtop.... just about 4 months ago. Though I now have a 2 post lift about 100 feet from here in my own garage, that set of leafs was a piece of cake. I have had them off once before (about 10 years ago, before I had my own lift) working on the ground with jack stands, and took the originals in to be "rearched"... I should have had them add a leaf (or done that myself back then) as the "re arch" job didn't last 1 car show/cruise-in season.... I did throw a set of air shocks on as a "band aid" for several years (I only drive this car in good weather) but its night and day difference with the new springs on it now. I got those from General KC spring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts