Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I plan to change the color of my instrument panels simply because I feel that the tealish green is dated and ugly. Id like to change them to a cool white or red. But as I understand there is a green or blue film that would further prevent them from being white or red.

I was wondering if I would be able to replace that film with some clear laminate or plastic to let the color show through as desired. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
American Rebel.
13,460 Posts
no. Black cat customs . com will get you a new guage face. You cannot change the OE film out. You have to change out the plastic face with the letters and stuff. Just put white LEDs behind there. Looks really good. Its a nice blue color.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
You CAN shave out all of the green with a dremel micro bit, but that is if you feel confident in doing so, then use a layer of window tint over thin plastic.

·
9,489 Posts
You CAN shave out all of the green.

Ehhhhhh no you can't. It is not a film or a color layer that can be scraped off, it is molded into the plastic face. It goes all the way through and then the mask is painted on. So basically you would have to cut all the way through except the micron-thick layer of paint. Not even the best surgeon in the world has hands that steady...

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
I was talking about going all the way through. I did it on a Honda a couple years back.

·
American Rebel.
13,460 Posts
honda design is not the same as dakota cluster design. Ive worked on Hondas too. BIG difference

·
9,489 Posts
First of all you can't dremel out the color mask in a dak gauge..

·
American Rebel.
13,460 Posts
Honda actually uses a cheaper way of producing the cluster, i.e. they use a film molded to the plastic. All their turn signals and lenses also use the film. To make a clear corner or mod the cluster to different colors involves either bleaching or using your method of dremeling out the film. Dodge is a bit different and its hard to explain. Honda goes the cheaper route with the film in the middle of the layers of plastic. Dodgde has it inside the plastic. Get it?

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Makes sense. I stand corrected. But I feel it may still be possible to dremel it out if you went clean through. *shrug* don't know how you would fill it back though.

·
American Rebel.
13,460 Posts
if you want to find a junk yard one and try it go for it. But the needles lighting up would be a problem

·
9,489 Posts
Makes sense. I stand corrected. But I feel it may still be possible to dremel it out if you went clean through. *shrug* don't know how you would fill it back though.
Trust me, you can't do it. As I said, you would have to grind away ALL of the plastic (which is relatively thin to begin with) and not touch the paint/silkscreen layer which is thinner than a hair. Nobody is that good with a dremel. Hell, even a CNC router would have a tough time with it.

The only way to get rid of the stock blue (green) filter is to buy a custom face.

·
9,489 Posts
They do dim, but nowhere near as much as regular bulbs do.

With the stock gauge face, the only LED color that looks right is white. That makes the numbers and other white markings light up light blue. If you install blue, you get deep blue numbers and markings, but anything that is yellow or red does not light up at all - and the needles are very dim. Some people are ok with it, but personally I think it looks bad.

You might be able to work around it by installing two white LEDs in addition to the blues. The white should be just bright enough to light the needles and red/yellow marks without washing out the blue. Someone did it with red and blue, and it looked decent, but there was a bit of purplish blending that showed in some areas. Nobody has tried the blue/white combo yet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts