Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any pictures of any neat center consoles? I just mocked something upo in cardbaord and it looks nice....but not sure what to make it out of. Want to stay away from plywood, fiberglassing and covering with vinal. Any ideas?

Bob
http://www.obsessivecompulsivedakota.com

·
Jay
11,490 Posts
there was an article inTruckin', where they built one out of MDF and used bondo to get fiberglass look

·
Registered
872 Posts
when you fiberglass it is very hard to get perfectly smooth surface. So bondo is used to smooth it out. But bondo by itself is not very strong, so it would be very weak if you just made it out of bondo.

You can go to a junk yard and get one out of a dak/rango

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
I haven't seen many pictures of custom center consoles over the years... The majority of the people who did do one either merely chopped off some of their console to mount a floor shifter in an R/T, or were completely built up in an over the top fashion for truck shows. I can try to dig up some photos if either situation interests you.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Dj Wolf said:
there was an article inTruckin', where they built one out of MDF and used bondo to get fiberglass look
would you be able to pin point that article for me?, thinking about making a center console for the back seat that would double as a sub enclosure.

·
Registered
103 Posts
'01 4X4 4.7L CC.

I built a "custom" arm console, but it's nothing to show off. First, I removed the entire arm console setup. I removed the metal frame and most of the padding out of the bottom part of my arm console and replaced it with an MDF box and a ghetto-rigged frame for a 8 inch sub. I put some of the foam on the top of the box and then re-wrapped it in the stock upholstry. The sub is mounted so that the magnet sticks out of the back of the box, but that part is covered by the back flap of cloth.It sits about an inch higher, but it only took a few days to get used to.

I needed something for sound after some punks broke in and stole all my audio stuff. I needed to make it a little more hidden, as the old box took up half of the back seat.

I'll take some pics with my phone for a better idea of what it looks like.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
this summer i am going to attempt to build a rear center console for my truck.last months TRUCK'n article really made it look easy.some things i've got in mind are,start by using 2 short backseat bottoms and filling in the void with a wooden enclosure then stuffing the parts of my powered bazookas (2) inside.to finish it off some new speaker grills and getting it lightly padded and wrapped in dark gray vinyl. does this make sense? can i put the power units inside the box? I plan on dividing the box for each speaker,is this needed?

·
Registered
191 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts