Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tryin to decide which way to go with my exhaust... here is the 2 options I am toying with and if anybody has done them please reply and let me know pro's and con's.

1. (easiest and cheapest) Install a Magnaflow or Flowmaster 70 muffler and run a single 3" out the side

2. (more complicated) Cut out the main cat and install a x-pipe and run true duals out the back through a 2 in 2 out Magnaflow/Flowmaster 70 muff with 2.5" pipes.

On the latter (2), if anyone has done this on thier 4.7L and removed the main cat... did you have any lights come on? .... noticeable changes in power up/down? ... or anything else out of the ordinary.

Oh, whats the 70 series compared to other flowmasters on sound inside and outside the cab. I want a nice strong mellow tone outside but don't want the drone inside. Thats why I listed the Magnaflow... everybody seems to like them better for that reason.

Thanks

·
Scared? We're all scared
168 Posts
i'm planning on doing the second option once my warranty runs out. although, it's a 5.9, and doesn't have any sensors past the pre-cats, it's not going to throw any codes or check engine lights.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay thanks nightmare... that answered my question about the codes. mine only has the sensors before and aft of the precats and none on the main. so that sucker is gone here shortly. just still gotta decide which way i wanna go. probably end up the cheap route and use the saved cash on an HO intake and cams. my woman will gripe though...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
here's an example

I have the same set up 4.7 and I ran a 3" single in/out with a 50 series flowmaster and I toyed with my tps sensor until at the light in gear my idle is 500, and you want to talk about sound good, idle's like a harley, well ok just a hair faster than that. I didn't put any tips or crap on the end, just left it under the truck out of sight. No exhaust is pretty to me so why waste the money. Would rather have cams or ho intake. But I don't get a whole lot of interior noise either.

On the other note I did a 40 series flowmaster to my wife's ram with her 4.7 and its a little quiter but still grumbles great. No complaints here.

Just to give you an idea,

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had my 3rd cat removed and I have a Flowmaster 70 series single in/dual out to the rear bumper. It has a very mellow tone to it and is not obnoxiously loud. At interstate speeds you won't even know its there, from inside the cab. I'm really happy with it but, at some point I do want to make it true duals just to get rid of the existing 'Y' pipe. Hope this helps!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, FL. That was kinda the way I was leaning towards. Quick question for you... the 4.10 gears in yours... what brand/type are they and what all did you have to do for the install? Did it make a noticeable difference?

·
Registered
107 Posts
SSRage;
Thanks, FL. That was kinda the way I was leaning towards. Quick question for you... the 4.10 gears in yours... what brand/type are they and what all did you have to do for the install? Did it make a noticeable difference?

Just go to the following link:

http://www.dodgedakotas.com/boards/per/7666.html

It's all documented in the above link with price. Paid a good mechanic to do the install because it does require special tools like a dial indicator. Did it make a difference, oh yeah! It accelerates much quicker. I have not taken it to the track yet, but may be one day.
Hope that helps, Later...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey, thanks for the link FL. That answered my questions. By the way another Florida person here... was born in Boynton Beach and lived in West Palm Beach up until a few years ago. Go back every summer for family... love the sun and the bikinis!! Heck yeah!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts