Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
99 Durango with the 5.2l, 4wd about 125k on it.

I have had a very annoying sqeak that I cannot pinpoint, is sounds like rubber on rubber or something of the sort. It sqeaks constantly going over any bump, even the smallest. It also sqeaks just when people getting in and out of the truck just from the weight of one person.

Im a bit confused because it makes the same noise coming from the steering, with the truck stopped or rolling at slower speeds I can turn the steering back and forth from 10 - 2 and re-create the noise, however on a longer turn it does not make the noise. I narrowed the noise down I think to the front passenger side wheel area while i was under there with someone bouncing on the truck.

All front suspension/hubs/brakes assemblys are fairly new except all control arm bushings are still stock. Most recently I did a t/s lift and running 33's, and also replaced the front sway arm bushings. One thing I was thinking is that I did not grease the sway arm bushings, are you supposed to?

What would make a squeaking noise when the truck bounces but also when you turn the steering wheel left to right?

·
American Rebel.
13,460 Posts
balljoints, sway bar links, anything that moves with the bushings in the suspensions will do it. Grab some white grease, spray every moving part, and joust the suspension, and respray. It will go away. Ive had that before.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man, are you talking about some like white lithium grease cause I think I have a can of that still? I can't see it being anything serious as I have no other symptoms will spray it down after work.

·
American Rebel.
13,460 Posts
anything that lubes up, yea, white lithium grease works

·
American Rebel.
13,460 Posts
its called autoguide you have to look for dak-dur on there and then you can get on here through the app

·
American Rebel.
13,460 Posts
no problem. stay updated

·
9,489 Posts
Sweet thanks. Got that app this is much better. Ill update later to see if that solves the squeak.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
FYI, you'd be better spending $3 for Tapatalk.. Better app, more features (such as push notifications for new PMs and subscribed threads, ability to post images, etc) and it works on way more forums.

Whatever you do, don't pay for the autoguide version. Its a ripoff - in more ways than one.

·
Mopar lover
437 Posts
my 04 QC did the same thing. I knew the upper ball joints were iffy so I replaced them and no more noise. Can you have someone help you pin point the area that is the loudest?

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
4,364 Posts
FYI, you'd be better spending $3 for Tapatalk.. Better app, more features (such as push notifications for new PMs and subscribed threads, ability to post images, etc) and it works on way more forums.

Whatever you do, don't pay for the autoguide version. Its a ripoff - in more ways than one.
This.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Meh I'm kinda cheap, this free app will work for now....

Squeaking is still there after greasing everything I could see. With the squeak there also turning the wheel stopped that was one of my first guesses was ubj or tie rods, I know it's the right side for sure will try to pinpoint the noise better. Otherwise think I will throw a new ubj on the right side this weekend I'm getting highly annoyed now...

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Could be the ball joints then like another person mentioned. If it does this sitting when you turn the steering wheel then it's most likely a bad ball joint.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I finally gave up and took it to my local tire shop for a diagnosis, I could see myself throwing hundreds of dollars in parts at this and tearing the front end apart multiple times...it ended up being a dried up lower right ball joint. The zerk was bent so it wasn't accepting any grease, which was the first thing I did is grease everything. I'm glad I took it in, they swapped the zerk and greased it and just charged me a half hour labor.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 16 of 16 Posts