Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
33" tires + 6 lift = Fun
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok so i got to thinking... blah blah blah to cut it short. can the rear axle be flipped from being over the leaf springs to under them, i understand some custom fab will be needed, i'm cool with that. but how do you supposed to go about it.

if i'm right i think it will add around 3-4 inches at least to my ride hieght, i'll be doing a little work to the front as well to even it out. i just want to go higher than what i have so i can fit the tire size i want.

my idea is to get the same hardware you see on most trucks with axle-over leaf setups. 2 Ubolts and the "bracket" on the bottom side. but that will mean i have to fab something for my shocks to sit on. below is a pic of my setup. i'm not sure if it's stock as i had a lift put on i know the shackle and the shock is after market, but i'm not sure if the mounting hardware/bracket is factory or not. please don't bash i have a direction with my truck and this is part of what i want to do, i just want to do it right, that iw why i am asking for help.

·
33" tires + 6 lift = Fun
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
um after thought.. what if i just took the hardware from each side, flipped them upside down, and swapped sides reusing the same shock mounts, then of course i'd have to get new (i think it's called) sway bar end links and maybe i may have to get a new driveshaft and extension of some sort.. doubt it though.

·
Blown and Squirted
3,407 Posts
If you like driving in reverse that would work, haha.

I think an axle flip is doable, I would get the brackets re-loacted properly and look into shocks that come with lift kits in the hieght range you are look at.

The sway might be fine the way it is, it will just rotate up more.

·
33" tires + 6 lift = Fun
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well these shocks as they sit right here are fully compressed, i want to pull them off and see just how far they go and maybe run with them for a while till i get a much better shock.

and the reverse thing... why is that? honestly. it doesn't make sense to me i'm not flipping the axle around, just the mounts to the shocks.

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
Axle flip is auto 5" lift. You can buy them,. I have one. As for the rango, you may need to mod or make new brackets for the shocks though.

·
Banned
25,820 Posts

·
Red Rango
974 Posts
Thread resurection here, sorry, but anyway....

I was thinking about this as a way to lift my 03 r/t rango: would it be possible (maybe less modification of brackets) to just use the rear end from a 4x4 dakota? I know one shock bracket would have to be moved but is there anything else that should go with this type of swap?

My plans would be way in the future, like after I won the lottery, but maybe my thoughts could help you out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts