Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone give me the definitive answer on durango heights?

I have an 01 2wd Durango SLT+. A buddy at work has an 01 4wd Durango R/T. His Durango appears to be considerably taller than mine - I know the tires are a bit larger, but I also keep hearing from people that the 4wd models had more clearance as well? Or is there a difference in the R/T height? Why oh why does his look so much cooler than mine?

Tired of having the wussy looking D!!!

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Yours doesn't look wossy. His looks like a panzy one. Because you DO NOT put 17" rims on a 4X4. So... yours is a 2x4... get some R/T rims like he has,...and you'll be the pimp. Unless you want to raise it. The R/T durango IS raised because the suspenion is for 4X4 use.

Paul

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Welll bro we're in South Florida, so around here the only offroading you're going to see is when it rains so hard the parking lots turn into small lakes... :)

But I guess the real question is - what exactly is the suspension difference between the 4x4 and 4x2 models? Are the springs/shackles different? Also doing some research it looks like the tires themselves ARE responsible for about .5-1" of height change, so I'm assuming the suspension is another 1" or so - but what specificially is different?

·
Super Modder
4,368 Posts
well first of all the 4x4 has either taller leafs or the leafs are on top of the rear axle...i cant remember right now but anyway, the front suspension is "bigger" because of the axle and diff...it has to have more ground clearence for the transfer case...the tires too are a little bigger...2wd dont have anything except the steering components so it sits lower.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AHA, ok next time it ISN'T raining I'll have to head out there and take a look at his rear axle and see how it's mounted... but didn't know if I'd end up just seeing R/T differences or if it really was the 4x4 vs 4x2 differeneces. I definitely understand why they *could* be different, was just surprised that they *would* be different, seems like it would have been a lot easier for Dodge to use the same parts on both... (and I like the 4x4 stance better... with the factory side skirts mine just looks way too low)

Guess I'll go with a slightly larger tire next time around and then see if any suspension tweaking can be done to gain another inch.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
YAAAABUDDY03 said:
Yours doesn't look wossy. His looks like a panzy one. Because you DO NOT put 17" rims on a 4X4. So... yours is a 2x4... get some R/T rims like he has,...and you'll be the pimp. Unless you want to raise it. The R/T durango IS raised because the suspenion is for 4X4 use.

Paul
Actually 17s on a 4x4 makes a lot more sense than you would think, especially with 35s and up. By putting large wheels on Off-Road tires you cut down on the size of the side wall, therefore giving rocks less area to cut your tire. In fact most Desert racing trucks run 17" wheels on their trucks.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Saint said:
Actually 17s on a 4x4 makes a lot more sense than you would think, especially with 35s and up. By putting large wheels on Off-Road tires you cut down on the size of the side wall, therefore giving rocks less area to cut your tire. In fact most Desert racing trucks run 17" wheels on their trucks.
Thats fine,... but the dealer doesn't need to be putting them on there. The 17" rims that I was speaking of are R/T rims, and those should be taken care of, not guarding rocks from cutting your tires. You want a 17" rims the will "guard" your tires sidewall, thats fine, but get some black ones, or some rims the won't mind being scratched.

It all falls behind the same method.... like having 20's on a Ram 4X4.... thats the DUMBEST thing I've ever seen... especially sense the tires were more street than off-road. Just doesn't make sense to me,... nor most of the damn nation.

Paul

·
Super Modder
4,368 Posts
YAAAABUDDY03 said:
Thats fine,... but the dealer doesn't need to be putting them on there. The 17" rims that I was speaking of are R/T rims, and those should be taken care of, not guarding rocks from cutting your tires. You want a 17" rims the will "guard" your tires sidewall, thats fine, but get some black ones, or some rims the won't mind being scratched.

It all falls behind the same method.... like having 20's on a Ram 4X4.... thats the DUMBEST thing I've ever seen... especially sense the tires were more street than off-road. Just doesn't make sense to me,... nor most of the damn nation.

Paul
i agree, wtf why 20s on a 4x4 ram and not the 2x4 ram? dummies...

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can get 20s on a 2wd Ram, one of my DIs, and a buddy of mine both have 2wd Rams with 20s on them

·
Super Modder
4,368 Posts
not when they first came out. only avail on the 4x4. the next year the demand was there so they made it avail.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
kaui56 said:
not when they first came out. only avail on the 4x4. the next year the demand was there so they made it avail.
I went to boot camp in May 2002 which is where my DI had a 2wd silver Ram Quad Cab with the 360 and factory 20s, which means that he had to have bought the truck before May 2002.

·
Super Modder
4,368 Posts
i was going to buy the ram with 20s until i found out it only came with 4x4, thats why im a proud owner of a dakota now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts