1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
American Rebel.
13,460 Posts
its easy what you need help with??

·
American Rebel.
13,460 Posts

This helped me out a little. And as far as running the wire, there is a plug on the side of the cab, when you open your door look down around where the hinge is, pull the plug out and run the wire through there if you want too. Thats what i did, otherwise to drill a hole, find where the hood release handle is inside the cab, follow the cable, there is a gromet that the cable will run through, you can drill around there. Only thing that is there is the brake booster to the right and upper right of that gromet

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Never done it. Not sure where the best firewall access is. Other things.
Here's how I passed mine through the firewall. Since photos like these show all sorts of stuff and can be confusing, I've placed some labels that I will describe:

A: This is the hole I cut and it shows the rubber grommet I placed on it. Note its relationship to other spots like the large white grommet above.

B: Are you familiar with the clutch petal kill switch trick that many members have done on their automatics? If so that's what B is pointing to.

C: This is the steering wheel column

B & C were labeled to help make it easier for you to see where I cut the hole.

How to cut the hole:

1) Find a rubber grommet that is big enough to allow your power wire to pass through easily. Finding this determines the exact size hole you should cut into the firewall.

I found rubber grommets at Lowe's in a pack of multiple sizes. They told me this was all they had for grommets... until I discovered where they keep the other grommets. Since all Lowe's a basically the same, find the section with all of the screws, bolts, and nuts. They will have section of drawers with all sorts of bolts (this is where their stainless stuff is kept) and one column of drawers is for odd things, and one of those drawers is labeled grommets.

I recommend cutting off a couple inches of your power wire (which is 0 gauge, right?) and take it in there and find something that works. Mine's actually a little too big, but that's because I decided to look for a grommet after I cut the hole.

2) Once you find the proper grommet, buy (if you don't already own) a drill of the exact size of the diameter of the hole it is designed to lock into. This is larger than the diameter of that hole in the center but less than the diameter of the entire thing (Take a look at the groove cut into the grommet and you'll see what I'm talking about. I used a hole saw tip for my drill.

3) Get one of those drill tips that looks like a cone made of sand. You will need this for sanding your cut.

4) Get some rust-proofer paint.

5) Locate where you want to drill your hole, and drill a small pilot hole. Open the hood and look from the other side to make sure there's plenty of room for your full hole. Adjust if necessary.

6) Cut the main hole.

7) Sand the edge of your cut with that stone-cone sanding tip.

8) Paint over that edge with your rust-proofer

9) Insert grommet

You are now ready to go.

General Rules:

1) Never EVER pass a wire over the edge of a piece of metal.
time + vibrations = friction that will eat through the rubber and cause a dangerous short

2) Use 0 gauge for the power wire and reduce it to a smaller size downstream if necessary.

3) Make sure this power line has a fuse near the battery that's equal to the sum total of the amps of all the devices being powered.

4) If you have multiple devices powered with this main line:
  • Use a fused distribution block to branch the power to the devices, and make sure it has a fuse for each line.
  • Use an UNFUSED distribution block to merge all of the grounds into a single ground. This must be unfused because you want to ensure the power will not be blocked as it attempts to go home.
  • Grounds should all be ground to the same point in the truck. I once heard the best place is the bolt for a seatbelt, so I used the one on the sidewall of the truck.
5) The above rules need not apply if installing in a Pontiac Aztek or other vehicle that ought to be burnt to the ground.

·
DAMN
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So with two amps I've heard two different thing. One is get a two amp kit with a dist block. The other was get two sing amp kits with inline fuses.

·
American Rebel.
13,460 Posts
youll have to google instructions for that. Ive never messed with two before, just seems like a waste unless you really need it

·
DAMN
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got a RF two amp kit. It has 4ga wire for power then 8 after that. Reading JL audits instructions I should have used 2/0 for power with multiple amps. Why? Seems unnecessary. But I don't understand how to use the dist blocks. There are two blocks with 4ga input and 3, 8ga outputs. But there is only the 1 power wore off the battery soooooo how does that work? Plus I have a capacitor to use. Also I can't decide where to mount my amps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey, i have a 2000 durango, is there any best way to hide the wiring running back through the vehicle? went to walmart and got the 1200 watt amp kit and it actually comes with that twisted wire insulation plastic lining...

·
Registered
3 Posts
well

its been snowing and cold as heck outside becuz of the high winds, but i was wondering if it would be safe to just take that blastic lining that u can tuck wires in, and run it under the vehicle... i seen someone do it when iwas google searching but they havent respond back... i tried to lift the carpets, and they are really tucked down to the floorboard and not easy at all to lift up enough to hide the wires

·
Registered
3 Posts
so yawl think that could be a good way, just lil nervous bout if it raining and water splashing and somehow getting inside that insulation and shortening the amp or batt... btw what is it called anyways? so i can actually type it in right to shop for some. thanks for the responses.

·
DAMN
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well mix that with working 10hrs a day for a total of 13 hrs gone and working most Saturdays I had to

1 - 20 of 20 Posts