Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
shake them babies
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i bolted on the v8 TB i bought from realdeal. the throttle bracket that it came with was too long for the throttle cable, so i reused the bracket off the v6 TB. it causes the TV cable to angle a bit toward the linkage. truck ran fine since i did the tb swap on saturday, but this morning i started up the dak and got a p1494, which thru googling is " Leak Detection Pump (LDP) pressure switch problem - electrical or the pump itself. "

anyone think that my TB jerry-rig could cause this problem? i reused the gaskets that were on the original TB, as they appeared ok. the only recent electrical mods is wiring up a sub amp and powergate lock. truck has only 18884 miles as of this post. has never had the check engine light come on except for a p0123 when i left the TPS sensor unplugged right after putting on the v8 TB.

please :help: thanks in advance

·
Home Owner....
2,565 Posts
check all the vac lines that go into the tb. the LDP thingy plugs in the front of the tb. the LDP is mounted on the firewall on the drivers side. also, grab a new tb gasket, even if it looks fine it can still leak.

get a V8 tv cable as well, this could cause ya some probs later on. dont thihnk there is a diff in the brakets.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
In short, yes it can cause it to throw a 1494 code. It seems that not all engines respond in the same way. I've put stock v8 tb's on v6's and not problem and then I've put a modified v6 tb on a v6 and got a code 1494. What year of truck did your v8 tb come off of?

·
shake them babies
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
it's 92 ram 1500 5.2L, it was listed in transmission f/s thread...

i have some side by side pics, stock v6 TB is on the left, v8 on the right

i notice the TV hole on the v6 bracket is farther out to the left than on the v8. with the v8 bracket on, the acclerator cable holds the butterflies 1/4 of the way open, but everything lines up. but with the original bracket, only the accelerator and speed control cables line up--the tv cable is angled.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Looking from the front, does each throttle bore have a tiny hole just above the the throttle plate? Looking at the bottom front, is there a crossover from one side to the other for vacuum? This is a photo of a modified v6 tb and the front of the tb is at the top. You can see the vacuum line and the crossover with a hole on each end. Does yours look like that?

·
G.F.Y racing president
9,424 Posts
sorry it seems like your having troubles man. hope this isnt a reflextion on me. you may have to go to the website: thefastman.com talk to dan there, tell him what you got, and he will suggest to you what braket you need to help everything line up.

i put a v8 tb on my dak off my 96, had him rig it to work. never had a problem, until lately. i modified my intake in a spot i think i shouldnt have. right under where the iac motor is on the throttle body. (controls idle). i think if you just switch up to a v8 cable like it was suggested, you should be ok.

hope it works out for ya.

·
shake them babies
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:sorry: not blaming you, i figured i'd drop your name as i assume you have more experience working on v6 and would chime in :biggthump . this would be my first time to mod an engine, and i'm learning as i go. just a little edgy about it since i don't have a second car if i goof up.

·
shake them babies
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
N56629 said:
Looking from the front, does each throttle bore have a tiny hole just above the the throttle plate? Looking at the bottom front, is there a crossover from one side to the other for vacuum? This is a photo of a modified v6 tb and the front of the tb is at the top. You can see the vacuum line and the crossover with a hole on each end. Does yours look like that?]
not so sure what to look for, here is a quick cell phone pic of the stock v6 tb. the v8 tb is still on the dak.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I would have to see the v8 tb. You should be able to see the difference between the picture I posted and yours. Look at the area between the two mounting holes on both pictures.

·
shake them babies
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, took out the v8 tb for pics, and resetted the PCM (neg battery term off, move key to start position 15 seconds) to clear the p1494.

here's the v8 tb from the bottom:

and yep it has teeny little holes in the bores (circled)

it's definitely a different setup than the stock v6--that cause the problem maybe?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I'm just a wee bit short of being 100% certain. Yours is the third case and they all involve your type of tb. I think I have the fix. I'm thinking that you need only grind or file two slots to join the vacuum cavity with each throttle bore. Then I would epoxy the hole on the right or alternatively plug the two tiny holes with epoxy and sand smooth.

What this would do is allow far more vacuum in the line since it would get it's vaccum below the throttle plates. You might be able to get by without pluging the small holes. Basically you are trying to configure it like the old one.

·
shake them babies
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MoPaR DaK said:
The angle on the TV cable probably has something to do with it being a 92-93 linkage.
absolutely. the v8 TB came with its own bracket, where all the cables line up straight, BUT,i didn't use it (i'm using the one from my v6) because, the accelerator and speed control cables have too short of play on them and hold the butterflies open as a result. it's hard to notice but in one of the above attached pics of the TBs side by side, the bracket on the v8 tb is different. it won't bolt snugly (holes do line up) onto the v6 TB because of the way it shaped.

by the way, when i order a throttle cable from the dealer, what will i get? just the accelerator cable only?

back to topic, i'll whine/complain/post more if the code comes back.

·
G.F.Y racing president
9,424 Posts
damn, didnt realize it was going to be this complicated. what year is your truck ?

jim

·
shake them babies
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
2003 model year.

update, code came back again so i'm back to stock for awhile. i do notice how the v8 TB seems quicker at accelerating and more responsive with the gas pedal.

i'm sure i'll figure how to get this to work. anyone who has anything to share about TBs keep posting up, i'm learning! :toast:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
dakota g33k, did you rework the tb as I suggested? I'm going to do one Friday night and see for myself.

G

·
0 Posts
rework

N56629 said:
dakota g33k, did you rework the tb as I suggested? I'm going to do one Friday night and see for myself.
Hey bud, if you are going to rework TB's you might as well do 2 of em.
Got a 48mm?

(im about ready for mine - get truck back tomorrrow)

·
shake them babies
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
N56629 said:
not yet, but if you're going at it, i'd like to see your result first (pics!). i'm just afraid to make a newbie mistake that would mess up the TB. i have a dremel handy, would that be the only tool i'd need? i just went back to stock last nite when the code came back.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
dakota g33k said:
not yet, but if you're going at it, i'd like to see your result first (pics!). i'm just afraid to make a newbie mistake that would mess up the TB. i have a dremel handy, would that be the only tool i'd need? i just went back to stock last nite when the code came back.
I'll probably mill the slots, but I don't see why it can't be done with just a hand grinder. Hopefully I remember or have time to take some pictures.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts