Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have a 01 dakota with the 4.7 V8. i wanna get the muscle car sound in it. i have the flowmaster 3in catback and the airraid intake but still doesn't have the sound that i am looking for. i want to know if the computer in the truck will freak out if i put a bigger cam in it. And what are some the the advantages and disadvantages of a bigger cam.. if you can help that would be great THX

·
You're gonna do what?!
59 Posts
so i have a 01 dakota with the 4.7 V8. i wanna get the muscle car sound in it. i have the flowmaster 3in catback and the airraid intake but still doesn't have the sound that i am looking for. i want to know if the computer in the truck will freak out if i put a bigger cam in it. And what are some the the advantages and disadvantages of a bigger cam.. if you can help that would be great THX

Well, if you're using the cams that are currently out there, no, your computer won't "freak out". You probably won't get a huge gain in power without custom tuning of some sort but the engine will still run OK. Now if you're trying to get a really loopy kind of idle out of it you're going to be really disappointed. The cams will change the exhaust note somewhat but the really heavy lope won't happen. All hope isn't lost though, there are several members in here with many different setups, maybe they can post up some sound clips to help you out:D

·
Registered
707 Posts
I believe KRC performance may have some 4.7 cams.

·
Ugliest Truck on here!!!
8,951 Posts
Get rid of the Snoremaster muffler thats part of the problem and the lopey sound will require some high lift long duration cams that I would bet will freak your computer out and require tuning.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts