Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't want to overrun the Throttle-Body thread, but I wanted to ask...


How big of a cam can you fit in the 4.7 without going to forged pistons or other work?
I have the H.O. cams and the thought of more power short of a supercharger just sounds delicous, but I don't want to do pistons or go that far.

Thanks for any help.

What cams would you recomend for low end power?


*I don't care how fast it goes...just how fast it gets there.
 

· Home Owner....
Joined
·
1,722 Posts
Bryan said:
I didn't want to overrun the Throttle-Body thread, but I wanted to ask...


How big of a cam can you fit in the 4.7 without going to forged pistons or other work?
I have the H.O. cams and the thought of more power short of a supercharger just sounds delicous, but I don't want to do pistons or go that far.

Thanks for any help.

What cams would you recomend for low end power?


*I don't care how fast it goes...just how fast it gets there.
the KRC 210 or 218(??) cams are about as radical as ya want to go though to get the most out of them ya need a programmer or custom ECM flash. Give Marty a buzz and see what he cam do for ya.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am thinking SuperChips tuner, but since I work at Abra I get discounts at local parts stores...I just need to find a local parts supplier that we have an account with that can get me one.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
347 Posts
Just so you know I already talked with Marty and he recommends a custom flash with the larger cams. I have the Superchips programmer now also.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
razman131 said:
the KRC 210 or 218(??) cams are about as radical as ya want to go though to get the most out of them ya need a programmer or custom ECM flash. Give Marty a buzz and see what he cam do for ya.

I was checking KRC and I noticed they have a KRC 224 that doesn't seam to require forged pistons. If I were to get that would I get a real low rough idle?
'Cause I love that deep rough idle that big cam gives a muscle car.

Also, if I did the springs with the KRC cams are they difficult to put in?

Why are headers required? Will a true-dual exhaust allow enough air flow?

How big of a difference would it be than the H.O. cams that I already have?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
347 Posts
Automatic or stick shift? If it's an auto I think you might need a higher stall converter. I talked with Marty and he recommended the 206 because of the weight of my vehicle. He told me it would pick up quite a bit in the midrange. The 212 would be better for top end but you lose quite a bit of torque in the mid-range.
 

· Dakota for Life!
Joined
·
1,961 Posts
It's my understanding that forged pistons are the pistons of choice when you're either boosting or spraying. I have never heard of having to go to forged pistons because of a cam swap.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sometimes cams will open the valve so much that it will push it into the piston...Thats why you would need the forged pistons, to have the gap for the valve to open farther.

I also may come into some money soon, so supercharging may not be a long shot...For now, I am looking into cams.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Bryan said:
Sometimes cams will open the valve so much that it will push it into the piston...Thats why you would need the forged pistons, to have the gap for the valve to open farther.

I also may come into some money soon, so supercharging may not be a long shot...For now, I am looking into cams.
Thats not the reason for forged pistons... thats the reason for pistons with a valve relief

edit: oops, didnot mean to resurect this thread..
 

· Clean Machine
Joined
·
972 Posts
do the H.O. cams , krc, and all the other 4.7 cams really make a big difference in power. and do they make the engine sound awesome on the 4.7 . iv heard sound clips of r/ts with cam swaps and they sound good just idiling
 

· Registered
Joined
·
347 Posts
The cam "lope" is what you are looking for. With the HO cams it idles the same (in mine anyway), trying the 206s from KRC next. Not sure if they will lope or not, call Marty @ http://www.krcperformance.com/newcontent/home.html
he can point you in the right direction. Tell him what you are looking for and tell him Patrick with the Blue Durango sent ya ;)
 

· Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I noticed a great torgue increase around 2-3,000 rpm. She breaks 'em loose a whole lot easier now.
Cams are totaly worth it.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top