Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of replacing the front pads and rotors on a 2k Durango.

Those two small hex head bolts/pins in the back of the caliper:

Are they supposed to be really tight? When I took them off, they were VERY loose and now that I put on the new brakes, I'm realizing they don't tighten down and are a little wobbly.

Is this normal? They're just a support for the back of the caliper to slide on, correct?, so they won't wobble out of there?

I put them back in with some thread locker, but I'm a little concerned. Are there alternatives or a larger bolt to use?

Thanks in advance!

Matt

·
Yes it's a lowered 4X4
2,307 Posts
Sounds like the threads are stripped. They should be tight but not over tight and they shouldn't move

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
With the rubber sleeves it is somewhat easy to get the pins misaligned and strip the threads. It's not uncommon to do it. Yes they should be tight. There are two things you can do. Get a heli-coil kit or oversize caliper pins. I have two oversize pins in one of mine. The pins are self tapping. I got them from Napa and Pep Boys. Napa has the Dak/Durango listed in their book. At Pep Boys the pins were in the Help parts section. The one I got said Ford on the package but the pin matched up to the stock pin.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I just bought some replacement pins and replaced them. I'll probably have to go with the over-sized ones next time though or if these back out.
Whoever did the brakes last just left them all wobbly and hanging by a thread. Good thing I decided to do the brakes when I did!

Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts