Dakota Durango Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Brian L,

What just came to mind regarding your issue is how old is your truck battery??? Maybe the voltage is too low to run the computer properly causing your computer to change your engine specs. Just because it starts the motor doesn't mean anything. I saw this on "You Tube". If I were you I check out the truck battery and see if it might be that. Good luck.

rimfire,22

·
i hate stupid old people
590 Posts
i wouldnt suspect the battery in this case. ive seen numerous dakotas/durangos come into my work on a tow truck because they would not stay running. for some reason when the battery gets low or bad they just dont like to stay running. same symptoms of a bad alternator. even happened to me a while back

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Rimfire-

I've moved coil packs around and the CEL stayed with #5. I've changed the TPS. I've replaced the injector. I've cleaned the throttle body numerous times. Only other one that you mentioned that I haven't tried is the gas cap, and I supposed that could be an issue, but only if #5 is just some sort of default code that comes up every time. It never changes to a different cylinder or code.

Oh, and I've replaced my battery during all of this, too. Also replaced the negative lead at one point because it was getting corroded and causing too much resistance.

Problem still continues...

Brian

·
Registered
509 Posts
Brian L,

Dude, you and I are in a bad pickle! I'm pulling my hair out over this issue and I'm sure your doing it too. For this to happen close to the major holidays just stuns me!:-( My motor has been 100% reliable in everyway and all of a sudden it falls apart.

OK you can forget the battery theory. bad idea to give BUT it was an idea.

OK it seems you changed most of everything it might be. Perhaps it's a fuel pressure issue???? Why always the no. 5 cylinder for us both I can't say. If it's cheap enough and I'm sure we can all afford it go to the dealership and get another new gas cap. It can't hurt and it's worth a try. If that doesn't work out for you then you may have to head for the fuel pump inside your tank. I'm surprised there's no mention from anyone about any service bulletins issued by Chrysler.

For myself my Durango V-8 has been 100% relaible from day one and now it seems to drop dead! That lousey no. 5 cylinder pressure (what the dealer told me) and the lousey CEL light is just killing me every night. I haven't slept much since it appeared a couple weeks ago. It still runs as the dealership says "it's drivable" but it's just killing me that only with 85K on the odometer I'm being hinted of a new rings/valve job. I must be the only person to maybe need one before I hit 100K!!!!

I'll/We'll take help from anyone out there at this point.

rimfire,22

·
The Anti-RUB
1,752 Posts
I've moved coil packs around and the CEL stayed with #5. I've changed the TPS. I've replaced the injector. I've cleaned the throttle body numerous times.
Did you make sure that the injector is actually getting power? The injector could be fine, but the injector may not be getting power telling it to squirt fuel. Go to your local autoparts store and pick up a Noid light kit. Most autoparts stores will rent them to you. Then hook it up to the #4 injector connector and take note of how it lights up & flashes with that good injector. Then hook it up to the #5 injector and see if there is any light at all or a difference in how it lights up and/or flashes. If no light on #5, then you have a break in one of its wires. If the light is flickering differently then #4, then the PCM is telling it to squirt at the wrong times which means the PCM is bad. Good luck...

·
Registered
509 Posts
Brian L,

I know this may be a far stretch but have you considered your cat might be going out??? Since I have the same issue as you do I have to have the new mechanic consider it. Only problem is I don't know if we have just one big one or a pre-cat underneath the motor. Can anyone chime in if I'm way off base on this??

rimfire,22

·
Registered
174 Posts
a white plug indicates a lean condition, check ur intake gaskets, if the miss doesnt follow through the driving range then its getting fuel. do a good leak down test to make sure compression is even between all cyl.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Brian L,

Just to let you know that I finally got back my truck last week Saturday and it turns out the intake valve was heavily caked with carbon deposits causing it not to close all the way. Because of one valve it seems I paid a dear price so the mechanics guess is that I used poor quality gas. They said no more Arco/Costco gas ot the condition will come back sooner or later. Chevron is there gas of choice but I don't make allot of money so stil I'll try to use a better quality of gas but now and then I have no choice to get Arco/Costco sometimes.

I wonder if your condition can be cured by using an overdost of bottle additives in your gas an take it for a long trip to but away wht may be the same condition as I have. Good luck to you but my story end here. I must have grown at least two more white/gray hairs over this issue.

rimfire,22 :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Help!!!!!

WOW!!!! Reading all this sounds allot like what I am dealing with too!
I am really hoping you all can help a young mom out.:funny:
So to start from the top I had the overheating issue(and still do) but have had the water pump, upper radiator hose and cap replaced. I have been having a bad smeel from the tail pipe and black soot for a while now and the worst MPG ever (6)!!!!! I have had the cat, both O2 sensors, all 8 spark plugs and a fuel system cleaning. I replaced 2 evap hoses, the TPS sensor, gas cap.
I am still having all the same problems before I did all these things OMG PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

From what I have read all weekend I thought about taking back to the mechanic and having the MAP sensor, ambient air temp sensor, air charge temp sensor, coolant temp sensor and thermastat all changed but was wanting to see what you all thought too!!!
Please any advice will be great and oh I have 118000 miles on my baby. I would love to keep her after all this work!!!!

·
Registered
335 Posts
WOW!!!! Reading all this sounds allot like what I am dealing with too!
I am really hoping you all can help a young mom out.:funny:
So to start from the top I had the overheating issue(and still do) but have had the water pump, upper radiator hose and cap replaced. I have been having a bad smeel from the tail pipe and black soot for a while now and the worst MPG ever (6)!!!!! I have had the cat, both O2 sensors, all 8 spark plugs and a fuel system cleaning. I replaced 2 evap hoses, the TPS sensor, gas cap.
I am still having all the same problems before I did all these things OMG PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

From what I have read all weekend I thought about taking back to the mechanic and having the MAP sensor, ambient air temp sensor, air charge temp sensor, coolant temp sensor and thermastat all changed but was wanting to see what you all thought too!!!
Please any advice will be great and oh I have 118000 miles on my baby. I would love to keep her after all this work!!!!
Have them do a pressure test on the exhaust. If its overheating, running like crap, smells bad and is throwing out soot it sounds like you cats fried. I know o2 sensors are there to pick up on that but somtimes they won't. In fact I had a bad o2 sensor that would cut fuel at the injectors when going to closed loop and never threw a code.

EDIT i just reread it and seen u said cat. Did they run some kinda cleaner in it or change it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
They just did a fuel cleaning about a week after I had the cat done and with the fuel cleaning did all 8 spark plugs. I am so lost with what to do with her I want to keep it but its killing me. Oh and its a 4.7L V8, if that helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, I finally built up the courage to replace the fuel injector on cylinder #5. The project was more of a pain-in-the-a** than I would have liked, but I got it done. A couple other O-rings fell off while I fumbled around with the fuel rail, so I replaced those also. Getting the fuel rail back on the injectors was quite a pain. Anyhow, it started much quicker than usual, which was nice, and it idled a lot better without any A/C running than it used to. The CEL was also off (probably just from disconnecting the battery terminal). So, things were good for about 20 miles, when the CEL came back on. What do you know....it's the same code, P0305. My idle got worse and worse after a couple days, and now it's pretty much back to where it was. I also have noticed a gas/exhaust type of smell in the car now, after letting it warm up in the morning with the heat going, and then getting. I wouldn't really worry about that too much, except that I drop my one year old off at daycare every morning in this car. That can't be too good for her little brain.

So, I don't know what the heck is going on with this thing, but it's getting closer to making a trip to the dump.

Brian
I was reading through this and was wondering if you ever checked for a leaking EGR valve or EVAP. Those two can cause a P0305 error. Those two are less likely to cause it, but you seemed to have covered the primary causes for that specific condition. Also you said there was a smell, so it possibly could be the EVAP system leaking fuel vapors into the engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did anyone ever figure this issue out? I'm having the same problem on a 2000 Ram 3500 Cargo Van (5.9L magnum). Rough idle, jumpy when slowing down to stop, surging and hesitation at freeway speeds and of course the P0305 CEL code.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Did anyone ever figure this issue out? I'm having the same problem on a 2000 Ram 3500 Cargo Van (5.9L magnum). Rough idle, jumpy when slowing down to stop, surging and hesitation at freeway speeds and of course the P0305 CEL code.
I just had my mechanic look at mine cuz at 90K I had the service done and the spark plugs were changed and the engine scoped. Then after about a week or so I got a code of P0302 on my dash panel.

Upon start up in the morning the engine would stumble like one cylinder was going bad but once warmed up the issue went away. It appears now that the coil for that particular cylinder was going bad so it was swaped and the issue went away!!! Since them I've been driving it all weekend to see if the CEL light would come back on and so far it's been blank.

For those of you who might have the same symtoms you might change the plug and swap out the coil. At 90K I figure on my 01' 4.7 liter Durango engine the plastic might be getting worn. I will be getting them swaped out one by one now cuz at $120/coil those guys are expensive.

rimfire,22

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the quick response. I put in a new air filter, new spark plugs, cleaned the Idle air control valve, and a new TPS sensor is in the mail, should be here tomorrow. I can buy a coil off ebay for about $50 for dodge ram truck/durango with 5.9L, this should work on my van right? Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
I put the new TPS sensor on and it seems to run a bit smoother, but a bit lopey at idle and still some hesitation at higher speeds. I cleared the check light and it didn't come back, but I only drove it for 5 miles, so it may still come on later. I noticed where the 5th injector seats, the rubber seal was in pieces, but so were quite a few on other cylinders, might have to pick up an injector rebuild kit. Does anyone know if the o2 sensor could cause the lopey idle and hesitation and not throw a Check light?

·
You Shall Pay!
102 Posts
Funny I just found this thread and I am having the same problem but with cylinder number 8. I have had this problem for the last few years. its driving me crazy but i have dealt with it. I would like to get it fixed and hopefully get a little better mileage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
P305 code but no CEL.

2005 Dakota, 4.7 Liter V-8, 75K miles. Throws P305 code but NO CEL. Engine lopes at idle but gas mileage is normal on the highway. I've replaced plugs, coil pack for cylinder #5 , new IAC, ran de-carbonizing cleaner for the valves and fuel cleaners. Problem persists. I wonder why it's always cylinder no 5?

·
Registered
1 Posts
P305 code but no CEL.

2005 Dakota, 4.7 Liter V-8, 75K miles. Throws P305 code but NO CEL. Engine lopes at idle but gas mileage is normal on the highway. I've replaced plugs, coil pack for cylinder #5 , new IAC, ran de-carbonizing cleaner for the valves and fuel cleaners. Problem persists. I wonder why it's always cylinder no 5?
I have the same thing going on
Did you ever figure it out?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts