Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i have a 06 dodge dakota quad cab slt.started making bumping noise at the end 0f 2019.i was told shocks or stabilizer bar links well i put all of that own,didn't stop the noise then 2020 happen well come 2021 in march i took my truck two auto shops they couldn't fine anything the 3rd one side ball joints wheel hubs and outer tie-end rods that cost a pretty penny,but guess what that didn't stop the noise.which made me sick.auto mech told me well it's your shocks.brand new and it was making the noise as soon as i put them own.now the 4th auto said my brake calipers.yes they have slack but not sure if they are causing the noise.but i can tell you this if i jerk the steering wheel back and fourth it will make that bumping noise.so with that said anybody out there had this type of problem.tired of auto mechanic charing me and not fixing it or even know what's wrong.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sounds quite similar to a clunking noise (on turning steering wheel) on the driver's side that developed in my '03 RT. I'm not at all good with suspension knowledge/work, so I just started changing parts. Shocks, sway bar bushings & links, ball joints on that side, hub with bearing on that side, rack & pinion & outer tie rod ends, intermediate steering shaft, & probably some parts I have forgotten about. Still made the noise.

Turned out to be the upper control arm bushings on that side.
Good luck with this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply,,same here not good on the suspension noise.but i just need to find someone but my upper control are on both sides where replace and just the lower ball joints on both sides.steering was check and was told it was good so pretty much everything has been change and the noise still there

·
Registered
25 Posts
Okay.
Well, on mine it turned out to be an upper on one side; not saying that it is, but I suppose on yours it could be a lower control arm bushing.
Is yours a 4wd with a steering gear or a 2wd with rack & pinion? The reason I changed my rack & pinion was because I read something about the symptoms of a rack going bad. I suppose it is also possible that something inside a steering gear could make a clunking noise.
Good luck on this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay.
Well, on mine it turned out to be an upper on one side; not saying that it is, but I suppose on yours it could be a lower control arm bushing.
Is yours a 4wd with a steering gear or a 2wd with rack & pinion? The reason I changed my rack & pinion was because I read something about the symptoms of a rack going bad. I suppose it is also possible that something inside a steering gear could make a clunking noise.
Good luck on this.
i do know that my ones where replace with new control arms could not get just the ball joint and the lower ones just the ball joints where replace are at least that is what i was told.i can see the upper ones or new,but hey i think i might have found someone who can look at it on wednesday morning.hope he can tell me something and not like others (i don't know) are i got to just bare and grin take it to the dodge place.hahahaha

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well, hopefully they will get it done for you.

As far as the intermediate steering shaft goes, I changed mine because there is a universal joint in it, & I understand that when it gets loose, the shaft will clunk when you turn the wheel. Although that wasn't the problem with mine, you could look up under there & if that U joint was loose, you should be able to feel it by grabbing a hold of it & forcefully turning it from side to side.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
guess what,,the guy i took my dakota to busted his hand real bad,so i had to wait on him still nothing so i took to another guy they call me up and said they can't find anything at all,then turn around and told me to drive till something breaks,,well then. even call the dodge dealerships up and they want even look at it because it's a 06 damn damn.trust me the noise is there at slow speeds on gravel roads it sounds like the front coming out on black top nothing....

·
Registered
25 Posts
. . . i took to another guy they call me up and said they can't find anything at all,then turn around and told me to drive till something breaks, . . .
Yuk. When that happens I hope you aren't going too fast or around a corner or . . . .

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this on a different car. It turned out to be the sway bar bushings that connect the bar to the frame. If the sound happens so soon as you turn the wheel then look towards steering and wheel bearings. If it doesn’t happen until the suspension starts to compress or comes compressed then look at bushings and ball joints.

My 2000 had all of bushings dry rotted and it rides and handles like crap. But I don’t have any clunk sounds. I’m getting the front end kit from Rockauto that replaces all of it and new shocks.

It’s definitely not the brakes. They would make a clunk when you start braking.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts