Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am looking into buying a 5x8 Carry-on trailer to haul an atv from a box store and since I have never towed anything, ever, I was wondering if anyone has experience from towing something like this from the bumper? I'm strapped on cash at the moment and don't want to get in too deep after the cost of the trailer, so I am trying to avoiding buying a receiver.

One of my biggest questions is, will the bumper be too high as to potentially cause the trailer to scrape/bottom out? Any advice is appreciated.

·
I hate you people.
2,803 Posts
Depends on what trailer you are getting. If it has a bend in for such an application, then it shouldn't be a problem.
I have towed with my old 94 Dak 5.2 on the bumper before I put a hitch receiver on it and it always pulled the load fine.
There are hitch receivers out there for less than $100 but you will need some serious power tools to be able to drill the holes for the bolts.

·
American Rebel.
13,460 Posts
Bumper wont squat. My truck has 200 pounds in it at all times, no squat (ive taken out and tested) That trailer looks like it will be angled a ton if you ride from the bumper. Youd have to measure where the ball is, and measure on the trailer how high it sits where the wheel is. Then you will find out how much it will be angler. I like my trailers level, i dont like any angle at all.

·
Dakota for Life!
2,489 Posts
My dak was lowered when I pulled a tent trailer. So I bought a hitch like this and flipped upside down it so the ball was up higher. It leveled the trailer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts