Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a brush guard for a 89 Dakota Sport 4x4. Does anyone make these or do I have to. A buddy and I are in the welding program at school and our teacher said if we bought the materials we could do it as our senior project for him. I would rather buy one, not because I don't think our welds would hold but just b/c i dont want to sink a bunch of time into it and have it look like shit. Now I am in no way saying I am a great welder but I am not saying I suck either. I am only 18 give me a break! :wave:

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Good for you for getting into welding man, I'm a metal fabricator too. I think you should try and make them yourself. It would be a good project to get some experience other than just straight welding.

It's all in the layout for the looks part of it. Draw out a few ideas and chose which one looks the best. Then take some measurments and start cutting tube. Tack it up piece by piece and take it out to the truck to see how it fits/looks.

I'd start with the middle section of the guards. Get that all tacked up strong and mount it to the truck just temp. Then start on the light guards. With the middle section on the truck you can make sure the light guards fit nice. Lastly take it all off and weld it up.

I think you'd be happier knowing you did it yourself, the way you wanted it and probably for less then buying them.

Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts