Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
brakes

4.7L 42K quad cab 2001. I am guessing that I still have all factory brake parts on, I have not changed anything yet. I have noticed that while stopping it will not brake smooth. kind of like I'm taping the brakes. Its slow not fast like an Anti-lock problem. I'm thinking warped rotors. but is it the front rotors or back drums? I have seen people talk about slotted rotors I guess that dissipates the heat better and will be less likely to warp. where is a good place to get them from is this is the case.
Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
the drums wouldnt do that, its most likely the front rotors. BTW, its "brakes" not "breaks"

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
sundragon said:
4.7L 42K quad cab 2001. I am guessing that I still have all factory break parts on, I have not changed anything yet. I have noticed that while stopping it will not break smooth. kind of like I'm taping the breaks. Its slow not fast like an Anti-lock problem. I'm thinking warped rotors. but is it the front rotors or back drums? I have seen people talk about slotted rotors I guess that dissipates the heat better and will be less likely to warp. where is a good place to get them from is this is the case.
Thanks
The problem will be warping of your front rotors. Really the only thing that can go bad on the rear is the pads wear thin and you have to tighten the adjustment up. I've got rear pads on my 97 F250 Diesel with 80,000 miles on em and thats with pulling a 27 ft fifth wheel travel trailer and also a 35 ft flat bottom goose neck trailer. Pads are original and only halfway worn down. In other words rears hardly ever go bad. The front rotors is whats causing that feeling. The main reason rotors warp is heat.... stopping too hard repeatedly without a chance to cool down is the killer. I would look into having the rotors turned or consider buying new ones. If you get new ones you will need to pick up new pads too. Hope this has helped some.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
First, OOPS i even checked the spelling but did not catch that. :( Ok so i'll pick up some new pads and rotors. should i get ones that have been drilled? is there a good name i should look for?

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
I have no experience with drilled or slotted rotors. All I've heard is second hand rumors. Baer makes really good rotors and pads along with upgrades for the rear on ours.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
This is coming from a sports car background, not too much experience with trucks yet, but I wouldn't put drilled rotors on a car or truck, back when brake pads weren't the best (major understatement that) the holes would scour the top layer of pad material off to keep a good contact with the rotor surface. With the development of modern pads there's really no need for cross drilled rotors besides looks, slots on the other hand do keep gases from getting between the pad and rotor to some extent and don't deminish the mass of the rotor (bad thing on these trucks since the stock rotors warp easily anyway I've heard) like drilled rotors. In short, stick with solid rotors or slotted.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Fallen's right. Drilled looks cool (got them on my M roadster), but for day in-day out street driving, use solid or slotted.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
I can share this with you about your brakes. Both my brother-in-law & I have 02 Dakotas his a QC ours reg cab both 4x4 we both have this problem and have had it since new he had his brakes gone through completely, I never did anything done and we both still have this problem. after 59,000 miles I figure I'll live with it. still stops great.

I notice it more in city driving, sometimes standing on the brakes stops it, the cause is the anti-lock system. Hope this helps.

·
eat cheese or die!
663 Posts
my truck does the same thing. you feel the truck rocking. but you don't feel a thing through the brake pedal. isn't the pedal supposed to pulsate when you have warped rotors ? i had it in to the dealer. of course they couldent find anything wrong. charged me for a cleaning and adjustment. they worked fine for a day. now it feels like the rear is trying to bounce. dealer never said a word about the traction bars i have on. could the bars have anything to do with the rocking ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts