Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. I had the students in the Auto Tech Lab at school replace the rear brake shoes and drums. They are 9.5 inch size and I got the parts at AutoZone. The problem: now when I make a right hand turn there is a grinding noise coming from the right rear wheel. Not a constant grind noise, kind of a chirping noise. It's quite loud at times. I had the students take it back apart and other than the adjuster spring hanging down unhooked, nothing seems out of place. I can't seem to see a place where it is obvious that there is metal on metal grinding spots. It is especially loud when backing up and turning right. Ideas?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
i have a similar problem on mine. when i make tight turns sometimes i get a loud squeel, but only while im doing a sharp turn. its coming from the back

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hate to post on a forum about a noise on a vehicle because I know it's difficult to diagnose without hearing it yourself. I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem before. Its kind of weird, its a metal on metal sound when I make right turns but I can't find any evidence of rub marks anywhere.:huh:

·
Registered
522 Posts
not sure if this will help for the back ones but i just did my front brakes and had the same issue. ended up just having to bend the dust shield away from the rotors alittle. they were scrape'n on the rotor. anyway just an idea. but it did sound like thin metal scraping on metal sound as u describe.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2008 Dakota extended cab , 3.7 v6, automatic transmission, just changed rear shoes on truck including spring kit and very clean back plate etc, .... getting same problem ..... right side or passenger side only , use brakes for a stop, truck stops properly.
But when taking off slow or fast , there is a grinding noise coming from that side only , but goes away once you start rolling after about 15 ... 20 seconds.
But when I take the drum off ..... I can't find anything loose or broken ..... I have had this drum off 4 or 5 times now for this noise ...... any advise would be appreciated .....cheers!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts