Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing the master cylinder and rear brake cylinders on my son's 1999 Durango. I want to get a line wrench set to help avoid stripping the nuts. Its the original master cylinder with 202,000 miles and 20 years of use. Hoping its either SAE or metric and not both for these nuts so I don;t have to buy two sets of wrenches. Does anyone know which it is? TIA.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I dont remember and I just did mine a couple years ago. In my case I expected the worst. Ordered new wheel cylinders from rockauto 4 less than $10 each. Changed old rotten hose from frame to axle and the short steel lines on axle. At that point it didnt matter and the original shit was so old it needed replaced anyways. In my case the bigger picture for me was replacing the main line from front to back and doing it all at once. I had already rigged it before with compression fittings and a new section that had rotted out. I live in the rust belt so thats a big factor with 250,000 on the clock.
Check that rubber hose on back axle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I realize I am a little late to the discussion, but figured I would add what I found when I replaced a brake line on my 2002 4X4 club cab Sport with 9" drum brakes. I used a 3/8" flare nut wrench on the fitting at the wheel, which fit snugly, but only after sanding the rust off of the fitting's flats. A 7/16" flare nut wrench wouldn't go over the fitting at the inner end of the brake line, which connects over the differential, but 1/2" was too big. I ended up loosening it with a 12mm open-end wrench (I don't have metric flare nut wrenches), but when I tried this at Pick-n-Pull to remove a good brake line, the 12mm wrench rounded the corners of the fitting, and I had to use vice grips, which worked, but required vice grips for re-installation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts