Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been quite slick around here with the deep freeze temperatures transforming some of the roads into literal ice sheets. I have noticed that the brake system on this '05 Dakota isn't quite right. On the ice, the rear tires are locking up and skidding long before the fronts engage or abs kicks in.

Is there any front-back brake force balance adjustment on these trucks? If so, how?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I believe there to be more to it than just weight. In the fall, I've noticed it on wet roads as well. It is just much more apparent on ice. I'll bring it into my garage soon and look it over. I did do a brake job on it over the summer to freshen it front to back. The new brakes are higher quality materials (NAPA Ultra Premium); I suspect the new shoes in the back have more bite. This may be a case prover where premium brake materials are not better.

If I am correct, then the solution is to either adjust the front-back pressure balance or to replace the shoes and pads again but with basic cheap shoes. Obviously, I'd rather adjust pressure if possible, and this post was asking about how to do so on the 2005 4wd Dakota. PS it has rear drum brakes with auto adjusting lever and jacking screw in between he shoes. May have something to do with that device?

·
Registered
1988 Dodge Dakota LWB RC 3.9V6 3 speed auto
1,425 Posts
I gather you have base brakes and not ABS? My 1988 had a load leveling proportioning valve; but for 2005, they list no such critter and seem to let ABS take the slack up.

Without ABS or a LLPV, you need more weight in the back or weaker brakes; I'd go for more weight first.

RwP

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is all good now. Drums, cylinders, links/springs and shoes looked fine. I spray cleaned then flushed and bled the brake lines (all four) of all old fluid and any air that may have been in the system. Works fine now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts