Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Citadel that is plain boring black. I never wanted a black vehicle, but this one was a really good so here it is. Last night my daughter came to the airport to get my wife and I. When she pulled up to the curb, I couldn't tell if this was my black Durango, or one of a thousand other black Durangos running around San Antonio until she put the window down.
So I want todo something to distinguish my Durango from all the other ones around here. Problem is I'm not very creative and I have no ideas I like on this problem. I considered decals from some of the online makers, but they all look pretty much the same. I don't want a wrap. So that leaves paint. I considered grey/silver rally stripes with red pinstripes, but I don't know. Anybody have any ideas on how to add a second or third color that will be fairly conservative and yet still make my Durango stand out from the crowd? I appreciate your feed back.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Home School Valedictorian
4,285 Posts
Change out the wheels.

Reactions: ctfolmar

·
Registered
2000 Durango SLT V8 4X4 5.9.
11 Posts
Slap some Jegs stickers on the back windows, get a Dodge windshield banner from AutoZone, and get some yellow pinsripes down the sides.
Or have it painted Plum Crazy Purple .

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
2003 Dakota Club Cab Sport 4.7L
664 Posts
Black out the chrome, use Plasti-Dip spray. Easily removeable.

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
664 Posts
Also de-badge it. Pull the emblems and lettering. Full gangsta/stealth/murdered-out look. Looks like you already have dark window tint.

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
664 Posts
Most will be on with a PSA (pressure sensitive adhesive). Gentle warming with a hair dryer or heat gun on low will soften the adhesive to where the individual letters can be pulled off by hand, or you can try running dental floss under them... I found that frustrating. It seemed to break too easily.

I ended up prying them off with a tool, but I had to protect the surrounding paint with cardboard or hard plastic.

You will blister your thumbs afterwards rolling off the left-over adhesive. 3M sells a dandy spray chemical that works wonders, made just for that. But you have to be careful where it ends up. And afterwards -- a gentle rub-out with white rubbing compound or clear-coat compound to restore an even appearance.

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
664 Posts
BTW Nice Dakota. I am waiting for a 94 Dakota to be delivered. It is a 4x4 with a 318, that's a 5.2l for all you youngsters.;)
View attachment 111448
Thanks -- that's a great looking survivor! Up here that would a bucket of rust.
One of these days I'll post some good pics of my truck. It's never seen snow so It's a good survivor too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks -- that's a great looking survivor! Up here that would a bucket of rust.
One of these days I'll post some good pics of my truck. It's never seen snow so It's a good survivor too.
I'd love to see some pictures. It looks really nice in the one picture I've seen. Is that a decal or are the graphics on the side painted? I really like them.
I haven't been this excited about a truck in a long time. It is coming from Washington state. Neither the inspector nor I saw anything other than a little surface rust on the frame.

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
664 Posts
The graphics are decals -- they are badly weathered and I mean to replace them. I've found them still available amazingly -- on line:
Typically on ebay for under $100. I just need to bite the bullet and strip the old ones off the truck.

·
I hate you people.
2,844 Posts
Do the old school two tone paint job like the Dakota's used to have available up until 2004 and Durango's to 2003.
I think silver would really stand out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts