Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have installed your own body lifts, is it a real pain? What are some of the biggest considerations.

I'm a pretty decent do-it-yourselfer, but wasn't sure if this is something I should take on.

Thx,
Nackota

·
Registered
396 Posts
i had someone install my bodylift, i didn't want to do it myself then halfway through it mess up and be stuck. but the gentleman who did mine said the hardest part was the bumpers. getting the old ones off, and then rebolting em back up. you could probably do it yourself if you have the right tools and equipment and an extra hand is nice and a full day or weekend. good luck if you do it yourself

·
Just Getting Started
58 Posts
Do It Yourself

I guess it depends on the price for install in your area. The CHEAPEST I could find in my area was $650 just for the install. I did mine myself with two jack stands and a hydraulic jack. It took me about 9 hours on my own. The only problem I encountered was the steering extension. It gave me some trouble getting it on. But other than that I was suprised by how easy it was. If I could've had a shop do it for a couple hundred I would've went that way though. Just to save my cut up hands! I need some Mechanix gloves.

·
Banned
8,203 Posts
Don't bother getting raped for the price it costs someone to install one. You don't even need to be mechanically inclined to install one, but it'll just make it quicker and easier. You can install it yourself and save the $500+

·
Happy 4th of July!
47,199 Posts
I was wondering this too... I have a 3" BL for my Dakota at home... it's a 92, what all do I have to worry about? I will no longer have the clutch fan by the time I put on the BL. It is an Automatic (2wd) So... What am I facing? :help:

PS Anyone know if 31X1050's fit a 2wd with a 3"BL?

·
Registered
331 Posts
I just did my 3 inch lift on my 2004. If you aren't mechanically inclined I would definately not try it alone. The hardest part was the steering extention.

Things you should know:

-There is welding involved on two of the bed blocks, and if you have a manual transmission you will have to cut the stick and weld in a steering extention.

-If you have the 3.7L the air brackets they include don't work and it's a pain in the @$$ to try and rig up something that still looks good.

-Don't forget to squeeze out the radiator lines and let the engine run with the radiator cap off or the truck will overheat. I was flipping out because I had never worked with a cooling system before and didn't know about that.

Good luck..

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
therumblefish said:
-Don't forget to squeeze out the radiator lines and let the engine run with the radiator cap off or the truck will overheat. I was flipping out because I had never worked with a cooling system before and didn't know about that.
What talketh thy about? What does the cooling system have to do with it? Also, as far as the welding, are you talking about a BODY lift??

Thanks,\\\

·
Banned
8,203 Posts
Nackota said:
What talketh thy about? What does the cooling system have to do with it? Also, as far as the welding, are you talking about a BODY lift??

Thanks,\\\
Yes, he's talking about a bodylift. The cooling system has everything to do with it because there is a lower radiator hose extension that may (or may not) need to be put in. Since the body will be lifted 3" and not the frame or engine, the hose stretches and may need to be lengthened.

The welding that will need to be done is on a manual transmission, and 97-00 that have the shift on the floor 4wd lever. What he was referring to about the welding on the bed is the optional "bed overload spacers" which don't have to be installed. There WILL be welding needed with the bodylift, unless it's a 2wd auto, or a 2001+ auto.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got it. I guess I wasn't thinking in terms of the radiator being bolted to the body, so it makes sense now.

Thanks for the info....

Nackota

·
Registered
191 Posts
the hardest thing for me was relocating the bumpers with the brackets that were provided.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
I jsut did my body lift. the hardest thing for me to do was reinstalling the linkage for the 4WD so it read correctly in the cab when i shifted to 4hi n or 4 lo. and removing my winch and brush guard and putting it back on. Otherwise the lift was a snap and I saved 400$ ( labor which shops in the area wanted to install it)

ROb

1 - 11 of 11 Posts