Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats every ones feelings on body lift kits for 4x4s? are they safe? do they affect any other parts of the truck? Are there ways to eliminate that ugly gap between the tailgate and the bumber?
:smash:

J

·
0 Posts
I installed one on my Durango and have had no problems with it. My Durango doesn't have any more body roll than it did before the lift. I was able to fit 33x12.5 tires and I love the look. Only downside is adding a brush guard you might have to fab some brackets to make it look right since it will be 3" lower. I was going to put 20s on it but decided to be a little different and lift it up. Not sure if its different on a Dakota but my Performance Accessories body lift came with brackets to relocate the bumpers on my Durango. I say go for it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had the same concerns about doing a body lift. Especially how it would hold up during an accident, god forbid. I asked around, and I also saw a Dakota in the bone yard, wrecked from a front left impact at about 50 mph and it held up fine(the kit). So I did it. Best mod I've done so far, with the 33" BF G MT's..it really makes it look beefy. With the kit and tires I'm about 4.5" taller then a stock 4x4 Dak. Good luck in your decision.

·
Super Modder
4,368 Posts
absolutly nothing is wrong with body lifts...i used to work at a 4x4 shop and we did it all the time...the center of gravity is a little higher but the frame is still low enough not to worrie. we've roller our trucks and jeeps and the body lift kits are still fine, we did have to straighten the body after, but even if it was stock we'd have to straighten it anyway. there are gap fillers but its been so long i couldnt tell you where to get them. and if i were you i would relocate the bumpers to where you like them. nothing like doin all that work and your truck looking ugly. have fun.

·
Registered
117 Posts
ya i was looking around to lift my truck but found that there's only a 3' lift kit for my 98dakota..cuz its 2wd..there is a 6' kit but only for 4wd...and i've been lookin all over..anyone can help ?..i want a 6' lift with a 3 or 4 inch body lift so i can run 35's..shoots

C

·
0 Posts
I've got a body lift and they're all good. Look around and you'll see that a lot of people run the body lift and there's never been any serious problems.

As for the 98 - well, there should be a 3" body lift kit from Performance Accessories that you can do, then put on a 3" Fabtech suspension lift - I think that's who makes em for your year and 2wd....then you can fit 35's

·
Registered
117 Posts
Canadakota said:
I've got a body lift and they're all good. Look around and you'll see that a lot of people run the body lift and there's never been any serious problems.

As for the 98 - well, there should be a 3" body lift kit from Performance Accessories that you can do, then put on a 3" Fabtech suspension lift - I think that's who makes em for your year and 2wd....then you can fit 35's

i'll look into that man..thanks..but i was wonderin if i can go a lil higher maybe 8' or even 10'...or would that look ugly ?..well if anyone got pics please show..thanks..

·
Registered
117 Posts
kaui56 said:
i think that would look solid at 8 inches...

thanks ya i was thinkin 8'...hey u know how to drop the bumper on the dodges ? well mine to be specific the 98 i see u got a 2002 ...i wanted to put in the gutter grill thing maybe nextweekend ...thanks...o yah nobody on oahu happens to have the hyper tech programmer thing ? i like borrow ..heheh.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Back to body lifts...

anyone seen or attempted to put a brush gaurd on after the lift. I think maybe you would have to fab a special mounting bracket???

·
Registered
75 Posts
DakotaDurango said:
Back to body lifts...

anyone seen or attempted to put a brush gaurd on after the lift. I think maybe you would have to fab a special mounting bracket???
The easiest thing to do would be to go with a prerunner style bar; otherwise most bar mounting kits can be modified by cutting off a few inches from the top of the brackets and then drilling new mounting holes. That isn't the best description I know but it really isn't that hard to do.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Here's a pic of my pre runner bar with my lift..right now its bolted to my bumper..it's not too stout though..my guy is fabbing up some additional tubing to attach to it and run it down into the openings on my valance and we'll attach them to the frame plus the original tabs are at the wrong anlge..we'll relocate those too so it sits more upright like it should.....then we'll fab up some cool skid plates for it..almost like the Fabtech ones you see in the mags..

·
Registered
117 Posts
Conman said:
Here's a pic of my pre runner bar with my lift..right now its bolted to my bumper..it's not too stout though..my guy is fabbing up some additional tubing to attach to it and run it down into the openings on my valance and we'll attach them to the frame plus the original tabs are at the wrong anlge..we'll relocate those too so it sits more upright like it should.....then we'll fab up some cool skid plates for it..almost like the Fabtech ones you see in the mags..

hey can u post up more pics of ur lift and wat lift kit u used ?..cuz ur truck looks like mine..well i still need to lift it and all but debating the height i should get...98 4x2 5spd...i was thinking the fabtech 3' and a 3' or 4' body..

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Conman said:
Conman, did you actually find a pre runner bar for dakota application? Where should I look (online) to find one of those...I already know about the Fabtech site. By the way, your truck is comming along very nicely! :bow:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hayn- I've got a 03 4x4 QC..the only lift available for me is the 3" Perfromance Accessories Body Lift. There is no other lift out for me right now. Rancho may have a 3" suspension lift soon, but who knows. You on the other hand, have alot of options..fabtech, rancho, doestch..there may be more..plus you then can add a body lift. I wouldn't recommend anything over 3" though..I don't know if anyone even makes a 4" body lift for the Daks.

DakotaDurango-My pre runner is a universal fit Truckin Suspension bar, $79 on their websight. It's ok I guess but you can see the reason why it's $79. The welds aren't the prettiest, almost like the were rushed, and the finish was lacking, I had mine sprayed and clear coated to match the truck. The mounting tabs are at the wrong angle for the Dakota bumper so I'll be redoing them this week probably...if you notice it kinda sits a little wierd now..

I'll post some pics over in the Photo section...

·
Registered
117 Posts
ya that's tru conman i'll look into it more and keep everyone updated..hehe..shoots

D

·
0 Posts
I love my body lift... The bumper lift brackets come with the Performance Accessories lift kit. Biggest tires you could probably fit would be 33 x 12.5 x 16 and that would probably need just a little trimmin.

My 285/75R16's fit great and look awesome. (33 x 11.25)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts